Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NTFS or FAT32 for 500GB external drive?

NTFS or FAT32 for 500GB external drive?

WCH

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:10:27 -0500, WCH wrote:
>
>> I know variations of this topic is covered here and elsewhere all the
>> time. Even so, I can't find the exact answer to address my situation.
>> I have many computers, lots of hard drives, tons of data that I want to
>> back up. I just bought a 500GB LaCie external USB hard drive. I used
>> Windows 2000 Pro to set up one large partition, which is what I want
>> because I'll be sorting files into specific folders on the LaCie from
>> various computers in my system.
>>
>> The size of the partition was about 476GB. I tried to format it as
>> FAT32, which everything I have is, I believe, and at the END of the 90
>> minute format process it said the size was too big. OK, I created two
>> partitions of about 240GB each and tried to FAT32 format one of them.
>> Same dead end result. It never did tell me what is the largest
>> partition that it WILL format with FAT32.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, NTFS would work fine on one big partition, but I
>> can't tell for certain what limitations on putting data on, and taking
>> data off, my Windows 2000 machines would have if I hooked them up to a
>> giant NTFS hard drive. If the drive was formatted with NTFS would
>> Windows 2000 machines with FAT32 drives still be able to share
>> information (on AND off) with it?
>>
>> If I hook the LaCie up to an XP machine will I gain any formatting
>> advantage over a 2000 Pro machine? Given the use I want to make of the
>> 500GB external drive, what's the best way to get this set up?
>> WC

> NTFS

Thanks for all the feedback. Everybody says go NTFS so I formatted with
NTFS and started backing up. So far so good. Thanks to all for the help.
WC

All Things Mopar

Today philo commented courteously on the subject at hand

> news:%K1Tf.144$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Rick Merrill spewed forth:
>>> FAT32 will not work for you. The largest file a FAT32
>>> drive can store is only 1.9 GB!

>> Where in the original post did the OP indicate he had a
>> problem with file sizes over 1.9GB?

> and besides, the file size limit with fat32 is 4 gigs

Two billion (not the same as 2 giga bytes) actually. The spec is
much larger than that but a tad over 2 is all she wrote.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." Henry Ford

All Things Mopar

Today All Things Mopar commented courteously on the subject
at hand

>>> Where in the original post did the OP indicate he had a
>>> problem with file sizes over 1.9GB?

>> and besides, the file size limit with fat32 is 4 gigs
>>

> Two billion (not the same as 2 giga bytes) actually. The
> spec is much larger than that but a tad over 2 is all she
> wrote.

Toolman Tim, I stand/sit corrected. I had previously seen a 5.6
gig Acronis True Image file of my C:\ partition get stored on
FAT32 as 3 files, the first 2 a tad over 2 gig, but when I tried
this again just now, I got the correct sizes for the 2 TI files:
4.1 gig and 1.5 gig. So you are correct, as is pointed out in
this M$ KB article

ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." Henry Ford

Don_Luciano

NTFS only! As far as I remember FAT32 (DOS) may format at max 40G(32) no
more!

FML: