Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I increase my download speed?

How can I increase my download speed?

Relayer

Hello,
After running a few speed tests, most results show my download speed is
slower that average.
Are there settings I can change to increase my download speed?
( running WinXP Pro w/sp2, Optimum online/cable modem )
I did a Google search for an answer, but 99% of the hits were speed
increasing utilities. I've tried one of those utilities a few years back
with unfavorable results. Below is a copy of the average speed test results
I get. I'm sure a faster download speed comes down to more than just a
simple setting tweek, but at least it will be a start. Any help on
increasing the speed is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-18 10:14:26 EST:
3565 / 1266
Your download speed : 3565 kbps or 445.7 KB/sec.
That is 44.8% worse than an average user on optonline.net

Your upload speed : 1266 kbps or 158.3 KB/sec.
That is 4.6% better than an average user on optonline.net

pcbutts1

Call your ISP.

"Relayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns978A6F5EFA778nahforgetitnet@69.28.186.158. ..
> Hello,
> After running a few speed tests, most results show my download speed is
> slower that average.
> Are there settings I can change to increase my download speed?
> ( running WinXP Pro w/sp2, Optimum online/cable modem )
> I did a Google search for an answer, but 99% of the hits were speed
> increasing utilities. I've tried one of those utilities a few years back
> with unfavorable results. Below is a copy of the average speed test
> results
> I get. I'm sure a faster download speed comes down to more than just a
> simple setting tweek, but at least it will be a start. Any help on
> increasing the speed is greatly appreciated.
> Thank you.
>
> dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-18 10:14:26 EST:
> 3565 / 1266
> Your download speed : 3565 kbps or 445.7 KB/sec.
> That is 44.8% worse than an average user on optonline.net
>
> Your upload speed : 1266 kbps or 158.3 KB/sec.
> That is 4.6% better than an average user on optonline.net

Mike Easter

Relayer wrote:

> Are there settings I can change to increase my download speed?
> ( running WinXP Pro w/sp2, Optimum online/cable modem )

This page^1 from a webforum shows some advice about tweaking MTU, RWIN,
and other settings. One way to do it is with DrTCP^1 which is just a
gui tool for making registry changes in several places.

^1 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15569279
^2 http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

That page also descibes a place to do a file download which is
'directly' on an optonline.net ftp site -- which solves some problems
about introducing or eliminating slowdowns by hopping too much from your
box to the test site.

Roadrunner used to have a bigfile test which was only about one or two
hops away for RR testers. If the optonline guys have a proper testing
page for the ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64 - I couldn't find it.

Here's another page with a reference to the optonline ftp
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...&mode=threaded

--
Mike Easter

Plato

Relayer wrote:

> After running a few speed tests, most results show my download speed is
> slower that average.

I double my download speed by doing most of my heavy downloads early in
the morning.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Georges Khairallah

You don't seem to mention anywhere what is the DSL plan you're SUPPOSED to
have. but, in any case, changing your MTU might help a little bit, but I
think your speed is going to be majorly affected by how far you are from
your CO (Central Office), and the quality (and age) of wiring to your house.
In most cases, there isn't too much you can do about that other than ...
well either rewiring the connection coming to your house (which would
probably be pretty costly...) ... or trying to find an ISP that has a closer
CO. of course, you can also do your heavy downloading on off peak hours
(like Plato suggested)... but that won't solve your long term problem anyway

Hope this helps.

"Relayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns978A6F5EFA778nahforgetitnet@69.28.186.158. ..
> Hello,
> After running a few speed tests, most results show my download speed is
> slower that average.
> Are there settings I can change to increase my download speed?
> ( running WinXP Pro w/sp2, Optimum online/cable modem )
> I did a Google search for an answer, but 99% of the hits were speed
> increasing utilities. I've tried one of those utilities a few years back
> with unfavorable results. Below is a copy of the average speed test
> results
> I get. I'm sure a faster download speed comes down to more than just a
> simple setting tweek, but at least it will be a start. Any help on
> increasing the speed is greatly appreciated.
> Thank you.
>
> dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-18 10:14:26 EST:
> 3565 / 1266
> Your download speed : 3565 kbps or 445.7 KB/sec.
> That is 44.8% worse than an average user on optonline.net
>
> Your upload speed : 1266 kbps or 158.3 KB/sec.
> That is 4.6% better than an average user on optonline.net

Mellowed

I more than doubled my DSL download speeds by using TCP OPTIMIZER.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php . It tweaks several parameters
and is free.

: