Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > port forwarding question

port forwarding question

bigtom

shdsl, cisco828 modem/router, 8porthub, 3 computers on lan, winxp pro.

A computer on my lan(10.0.0.7) needs port 80 and a few others forwarded
to it. Does this mean the other computers wont have access to those
ports?

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:21:53 +1100, bigtom wrote:

> shdsl, cisco828 modem/router, 8porthub, 3 computers on lan, winxp pro.
>
> A computer on my lan(10.0.0.7) needs port 80 and a few others forwarded
> to it. Does this mean the other computers wont have access to those
> ports?

No.

Walter Mautner

bigtom wrote:

> shdsl, cisco828 modem/router, 8porthub, 3 computers on lan, winxp pro.
>
> A computer on my lan(10.0.0.7) needs port 80 and a few others forwarded
> to it. Does this mean the other computers wont have access to those
> ports?

Don't mix target with source ports. A webserver running inside your NATted
LAN will want to be accessed with the common public IP, so the router
forwards incoming (from the evil net) requests for <your public IP>:80 to
that 10.0.0.7:80. A webbrowser on the same computer or any other can freely
access other webservers at the same time.
Btw. client communications are usually initiated from high numbered ports.
Have a look at "netstat -n" from a commandline, while you are "surfing".
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

K-Man hater Duane

"bigtom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> shdsl, cisco828 modem/router, 8porthub, 3 computers on lan, winxp pro.
>
> A computer on my lan(10.0.0.7) needs port 80 and a few others forwarded
> to it. Does this mean the other computers wont have access to those
> ports?

Yes as far as port forwarding on the router for unsolicited inbound traffic
for those ports so that client machines on the Internet can make contact
with the server programs running on the machine for those forwarded ports,
that kind of traffic can only be directed to the static LAN/IP machine the
traffic is being forwarded to on the LAN.

A browser like IE or others that initiated contact with a site from behind
the router is called solicited traffic and that kind of inbound traffic will
be directed to the soliciting machine on port 80 while unsolicited inbound
traffic will be directed to the port forwarded LAN IP/machine.

Duane

Rick Merrill

bigtom wrote:

> shdsl, cisco828 modem/router, 8porthub, 3 computers on lan, winxp pro.
>
> A computer on my lan(10.0.0.7) needs port 80 and a few others forwarded
> to it. Does this mean the other computers wont have access to those
> ports?

The other computers could "access" as a client, but the computer with the forwarded port is where the servers run (http ::= port 80); but you would not want the other computers to also be running http servers (unless you have a much more sophisticated system with server load sharing)