Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98 install

win98 install

Roc

I started to install win 98 and about 15% into the install I droped my
keyboard.Now when I try to reinstall win it stops at the same place
everytime. I even wiped my HD and formatted again and still hangs
up.what do i do

Mike Easter

Roc wrote:
> I started to install win 98 and about 15% into the install I droped my
> keyboard.Now when I try to reinstall win it stops at the same place
> everytime. I even wiped my HD and formatted again and still hangs
> up.what do i do

IMO your keyboard has nothing to do with your install problem. But if
you want to prove that to yourself, you should spend a few bucks on a
new kb and demonstrate that the problem is the same part of the install
with the new kb or the old kb.

Then you should probably remove all of the cards from the mobo except
the video and get a nice quick smooth install and go from there.

If you want to change the order of that strategy and remove the cards
and use the same kb, that would probably work too.

.... and you were 'holding' your kb during a win install because.... ??

--
Mike Easter

Old Gringo

On Or About 3/13/2006 7:54:44 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Roc Wrote
The Following:

> I started to install win 98 and about 15% into the install I droped my
> keyboard.Now when I try to reinstall win it stops at the same place
> everytime. I even wiped my HD and formatted again and still hangs
> up.what do i do

Maybe just clean the CD
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.

Walter Mautner

Roc wrote:

> I started to install win 98 and about 15% into the install I droped my
> keyboard.Now when I try to reinstall win it stops at the same place
> everytime. I even wiped my HD and formatted again and still hangs
> up.what do i do

Either you dropped your kb because you fell asleep waiting for the install
(while it stood at 15%) or you also dropped your install cd in between.
Try to format the hd first, and xcopy the win98 folder on the cd to the
partition on hd. If it stops while copying, you have a bad cd or drive.
After copying, cd into the win98 folder and run setup from there.
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Walter Mautner spewed forth:
> Roc wrote:
>
>> I started to install win 98 and about 15% into the install I droped
>> my keyboard.Now when I try to reinstall win it stops at the same
>> place everytime. I even wiped my HD and formatted again and still
>> hangs up.what do i do

> Either you dropped your kb because you fell asleep waiting for the
> install (while it stood at 15%) or you also dropped your install cd
> in between. Try to format the hd first, and xcopy the win98 folder on
> the cd to the partition on hd. If it stops while copying, you have a
> bad cd or drive. After copying, cd into the win98 folder and run
> setup from there.

I prefer that method myself, because later as I add hardware/software the
system doesn't make me keep looking for that d*** install CD each time <g>