Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting Laptop to LCD TV?

Connecting Laptop to LCD TV?

Jamie&Rachel

I am having trouble getting my laptop to connect to my tv, I am using the
monitor output on the back of the laptop to s-video but the tv doesn't pick
up a signal also in the display settings on windows it does not identify
that I have plugged something into the monitor output on the laptop.
I have tried connecting the s-video direct to s-video in on the lcd tv also
tried it into a scart adapter to no avail. I have tried it with my spare
laptop and there is still no results.
Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong??
I have ordered a d-sub cable to try connecting it that way as the lcd tv has
a pc input. I should still be able to use s-video though shouldn't I?

Many Thanks in advance

Jamie

::Your Name Here::

Jamie&Rachel wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my laptop to connect to my tv, I am using the
> monitor output on the back of the laptop to s-video but the tv doesn't pick
> up a signal also in the display settings on windows it does not identify
> that I have plugged something into the monitor output on the laptop.
> I have tried connecting the s-video direct to s-video in on the lcd tv also
> tried it into a scart adapter to no avail. I have tried it with my spare
> laptop and there is still no results.
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong??
> I have ordered a d-sub cable to try connecting it that way as the lcd tv has
> a pc input. I should still be able to use s-video though shouldn't I?
>
> Many Thanks in advance
>
> Jamie

I use the s-vid out on mine to connect to the TV.
I have a key stroke combination that cycles through laptop display only,
laptop and external displays and external display only. It's got LCD/CRT
written on the key.
Perhaps your laptop has something similar?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:07:28 +0000, Jamie&Rachel wrote:

> I am having trouble getting my laptop to connect to my tv, I am using the
> monitor output on the back of the laptop to s-video but the tv doesn't pick
> up a signal also in the display settings on windows it does not identify
> that I have plugged something into the monitor output on the laptop.
> I have tried connecting the s-video direct to s-video in on the lcd tv also
> tried it into a scart adapter to no avail. I have tried it with my spare
> laptop and there is still no results.
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong??
> I have ordered a d-sub cable to try connecting it that way as the lcd tv has
> a pc input. I should still be able to use s-video though shouldn't I?
>
> Many Thanks in advance
>
> Jamie

The resolution of the laptop may be out of the range of your LCD TV. Try
setting it to 640x480.

Jamie&Rachel

> I use the s-vid out on mine to connect to the TV.
> I have a key stroke combination that cycles through laptop display only,
> laptop and external displays and external display only. It's got LCD/CRT
> written on the key.
> Perhaps your laptop has something similar?

Its a Sony Vaio and there is a funcion button but when pressed it just
displays the actual monitor on the laptop icon. Also I cannot set the
resolution of the sony laptops screen lower than 800x600, but the lcd tv
which is a 37" samsung le3241bd if that helps should be capable of high
resolution displays as it says in the manual. It does not provide any
trouble shooters to get pc to show neither does my laptop manual, they both
just explain that this is where to plug it in.

Cheers

Jamie

The Old Sourdough

On 2006-03-13, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Jamie&Rachel gibbered insanely:

>> I use the s-vid out on mine to connect to the TV.
>> I have a key stroke combination that cycles through laptop display only,
>> laptop and external displays and external display only. It's got LCD/CRT
>> written on the key.
>> Perhaps your laptop has something similar?

> Its a Sony Vaio and there is a funcion button but when pressed it just
> displays the actual monitor on the laptop icon. Also I cannot set the
> resolution of the sony laptops screen lower than 800x600, but the lcd tv
> which is a 37" samsung le3241bd if that helps should be capable of high
> resolution displays as it says in the manual. It does not provide any
> trouble shooters to get pc to show neither does my laptop manual, they both
> just explain that this is where to plug it in.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jamie

Try going to Display Properties>Advanced and see if there are any settings
to change outputs. My Radeon drivers have such options available to enable
various settings/monitors.

--
The Old Sourdough
I like cats. They taste just like ol' dead chicken.

Jamie&Rachel

> Try going to Display Properties>Advanced and see if there are any settings
> to change outputs. My Radeon drivers have such options available to enable
> various settings/monitors.
>
> --

I have looked all I can find is the options where it shows you

Default Single display
Switch amongst displays - ive tried changing these but no change...
Hotkey None
Monitor Not Connected
Panel Connected
TV Not connected

The Monitor and TV icons are unable to be clicked on but the panel which is
connected (my laptop screen) can be clicked on.

Regards
Jamie

The Old Sourdough

On 2006-03-13, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Jamie&Rachel gibbered insanely:

--
The Old Sourdough
I like cats. They taste just like ol' dead chicken.

Jamie&Rachel

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).

??

The Old Sourdough

On 2006-03-13, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, The Old Sourdough gibbered insanely:
> On 2006-03-13, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Jamie&Rachel gibbered insanely:
>>
>>> Try going to Display Properties>Advanced and see if there are any settings
>>> to change outputs. My Radeon drivers have such options available to enable
>>> various settings/monitors.
>>>
>>> --

>> I have looked all I can find is the options where it shows you
>>
>> Default Single display
>> Switch amongst displays - ive tried changing these but no change...
>> Hotkey None
>> Monitor Not Connected
>> Panel Connected
>> TV Not connected
>>
>> The Monitor and TV icons are unable to be clicked on but the panel which is
>> connected (my laptop screen) can be clicked on.

I don't know what happened with that empty post,but here goes again.
When I hook up an S-video cable to my card and to a TV, I can then select
what I want to do with the output. I'd say that "TV not connected" is
a place to start.

--
The Old Sourdough
I like cats. They taste just like ol' dead chicken.

dogsBollix

The Old Sourdough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2006-03-13, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Jamie&Rachel gibbered
> insanely:
>>
>>> Try going to Display Properties>Advanced and see if there are any
>>> settings to change outputs. My Radeon drivers have such options
>>> available to enable various settings/monitors.
>>>
>>> --

>> I have looked all I can find is the options where it shows you
>>
>> Default Single display
>> Switch amongst displays - ive tried changing these but no change...
>> Hotkey None
>> Monitor Not Connected
>> Panel Connected
>> TV Not connected
>>
>> The Monitor and TV icons are unable to be clicked on but the panel
>> which is connected (my laptop screen) can be clicked on.
>>
>> Regards
>> Jamie

you may need to enable and configure the s-video out in the laptop bios

dB