Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Run 2 computers on same DSL modem, how?

Run 2 computers on same DSL modem, how?

Why

What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.

Thanks

Crunch

Why wrote:

> What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
> Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
> banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
>
> Thanks

You need a router.
If the laptop has wireless you might want to get a wireless router.
The router should come with easy to follow "quick start" instructions.

If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
otherwise just get a regular router.
--

Crunch
-----------------

W8LifterJ

If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
connection via the network cards on each computer.

--
I hope......

You have a G....R....E....A....T Day!!!

Most people look up and admire the stars;
a champion climbs the mountain and grabs one."

Meat Plow

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:41:44 +0000, Why wrote:

> What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
> Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
> banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
>
> Thanks

Buy a cheap-assed router.

Peter

BT Yahoo gave a cheap jack router when I signed up to Broadband and that
enables two connections at the same time and works fine. So I'm sure for a
few quid you could get hold of one to do the job.

Peter

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:41:44 +0000, Why wrote:
>
>> What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
>> Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
>> banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
>>
>> Thanks

> Buy a cheap-assed router.

Fred Kasner

Crunch wrote:
> Why wrote:
>

>>What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
>>Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
>>banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
>>
>>Thanks

> You need a router.
> If the laptop has wireless you might want to get a wireless router.
> The router should come with easy to follow "quick start" instructions.
>
> If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
> otherwise just get a regular router.

Hmmm. Online banking and using a wireless router? Sounds like asking for
trouble. A wired router would be OK. But I would want 256 bit encryption
to do wireless routing with bank info. Either that or you would have to
get a router whose firmware included really good protection of wireless
data.
FK

David Matthew Wood

> If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
> connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
> connection via the network cards on each computer.

NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two IP
addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:

1, it just won't work

or

2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.

A router is best here.

Why

>Crunch wrote:
>> Why wrote:
>>

>>>What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
>>>Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
>>>banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.

>> If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
>> otherwise just get a regular router.

Her laptop has built in wireless.

>Hmmm. Online banking and using a wireless router? Sounds like asking for
>trouble. A wired router would be OK. But I would want 256 bit encryption
>to do wireless routing with bank info. Either that or you would have to
>get a router whose firmware included really good protection of wireless
>data.
>FK

I was worried about that, bought a Linksys BeFW11S4. I can just run a
25 foot cable like what goes to my computer from the dsl on that
router. & have that cable run to where she has her desk. So what cable
do I need to get that's 25 foot & where would I order one?
Thanks for all the help

Oldus Fartus

David Matthew Wood wrote:
>> If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
>> connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
>> connection via the network cards on each computer.

> NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two IP
> addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:

No it won't.

> 1, it just won't work
>
> or
>
> 2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.

Bullshit. In most cases it will work fine.

> A router is best here.

Agreed.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

asrizan

It is good to plan your home network with DSL. I will tell you how i did to
make it more confortable.

I used wireless products to build my home network. I will tell you about
wireless basic set up here.

To get started on building a wireless network, you need :

Broadband connection such as DSL/Cable with a modem or existing Local Area
Network connection
A wireless router or access point depending upon your connection
Wireless network adapters for all computers that you wish to add to your
wireless network

Its very easy and portable. Have fun!