Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sound Drivers for Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Sound Drivers for Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Aardvark

After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot system,
I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of **** computer is
gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.

Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
LOL.

Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to boot
than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information as it
does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I call it
unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say I'll
understand what most of it means.

The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't work.
I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers for an old
Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.

I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after page of
geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May as well have
been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me, I tried.

Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It would
be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of Ubuntu
primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand at least a
smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.

Many thanks in advance.

Aardvark

Au79

Aardvark wrote:

> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.

You don't have even the most rudimentary skills to tinker with garbage
hardware; you are a failure.

> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand at
> least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.

The Ubuntu web site would be the place to start for anyone with an average
IQ. I doubt that you would be able to make it work even if an expert set it
up for you.

> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Aardvark

Gordon

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:13:16 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot system,
> I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of **** computer is
> gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>
> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
> LOL.

well it should NEVER have taken this long - most users find it installs in
about 25 minutes.......

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

old jon

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wiiPf.73255$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>
> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
> LOL.
>
> Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to
> boot than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information
> as it does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I
> call it unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say I'll
> understand what most of it means.
>
> The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't
> work. I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers for
> an old Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.
>
> I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after page
> of geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May as well
> have been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me, I tried.
>
> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand at
> least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Aardvark

http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

I`ve got Kubuntu on CD, that`s as far as I`ve got so far. <g>.
Don`t bother to ping `The Penguin Pushers` on here, they`re
all experts that know very little.
You`ll know that from the answer that Au79 gave.
And of course Gordons helpful answer.
Use Google and dig it out for yourself A.

--
bw..OJ

Tony

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wiiPf.73255$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>
> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
> LOL.
>
> Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to
> boot than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information
> as it does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I
> call it unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say I'll
> understand what most of it means.
>
> The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't
> work. I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers for
> an old Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.
>
> I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after page
> of geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May as well
> have been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me, I tried.
>
> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand at
> least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Aardvark

Is it an old ISA card? PCI sound blaster normally install automatically but
ISA ones are not normally automatically installed.

If you have an ISA card, you may have to edit etc/modules and add a line.

Go to the command prompt (applications/accessories/terminal) and type: sudo
gedit etc/modules (you will be asked for your login password. Additional
info: Sudo allows you to make changes as root. gedit will open a file for
editing which comes in very handy and may help you understand some of the
instructions where it just says something like "edit etc/modules" ).

Type the new line: sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3

Save and close.

Also turn off plug and play in bios.

The volume control is usually set to the lowest so you will also have to
increase the volume.

Tony

Aardvark

>well it should NEVER have taken this long - most users >find it installs in
>about 25 minutes.......

MOST users. I can only assume that your use of the word 'most' implies that
you are aware that the REST of the users might find that it takes
substantially longer. So glad you understand this. Unfortunately your
understanding does not help me with my sound driver problem. But thanks
anyway.

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JRiPf.62356$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wiiPf.73255$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
>> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
>> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>>
>> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
>> LOL.
>>
>> Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to
>> boot than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information
>> as it does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I
>> call it unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say
>> I'll understand what most of it means.
>>
>> The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't
>> work. I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers for
>> an old Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.
>>
>> I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after page
>> of geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May as well
>> have been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me, I tried.
>>
>> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
>> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
>> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
>> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand
>> at least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Aardvark

> http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html
>
> I`ve got Kubuntu on CD, that`s as far as I`ve got so far. <g>.
> Don`t bother to ping `The Penguin Pushers` on here, they`re
> all experts that know very little.
> You`ll know that from the answer that Au79 gave.
> And of course Gordons helpful answer.
> Use Google and dig it out for yourself A.
>
> --
> bw..OJ

Cheers old jon, I'll start my search for knowledge there. You never know- if
I learn enough about Linux, in a few years I'll be an asshole just like
Au79. That's a thing I'm really looking forward to.

Aardvark

Thanks Tony. Yes, I believe it IS an ISA card. I'll try your solution.

Your answer is exactly the sort of thing I searched for on the various
Ububtu/Linux/Debian fora but was unable to find due to the limited time I
had.

I have a feeling I came across a similar solution on one or more of the
fora I looked at but both the questioners and respondents obviously had a
deeper understanding of the OS than I have (which is virtually zilch) and a
deal of understanding was presupposed in both the questions and answers and
so I had no idea how to access the files they referred to in order to edit
them.

Well I now have a smidgin of basic knowledge of Ubuntu/Linux which ain't bad
for 12 hours of exposure to the OS LOL.

I'm so looking forward to the time I have enough experience that I can be a
complete and utter asshole just like my role model Au79.

Once again, many thanks Tony.

Watch out Au79- I'm gonna be JUST like you when I grow up.

****.

news:dukei7$8r9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wiiPf.73255$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
>> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
>> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>>
>> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes though
>> LOL.
>>
>> Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to
>> boot than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information
>> as it does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I
>> call it unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say
>> I'll understand what most of it means.
>>
>> The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't
>> work. I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers for
>> an old Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.
>>
>> I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after page
>> of geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May as well
>> have been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me, I tried.
>>
>> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
>> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
>> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
>> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand
>> at least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Aardvark
>>

> Is it an old ISA card? PCI sound blaster normally install automatically
> but ISA ones are not normally automatically installed.
>
> If you have an ISA card, you may have to edit etc/modules and add a line.
>
> Go to the command prompt (applications/accessories/terminal) and type:
> sudo gedit etc/modules (you will be asked for your login password.
> Additional info: Sudo allows you to make changes as root. gedit will
> open a file for editing which comes in very handy and may help you
> understand some of the instructions where it just says something like
> "edit etc/modules" ).
>
> Type the new line: sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
>
> Save and close.
>
> Also turn off plug and play in bios.
>
> The volume control is usually set to the lowest so you will also have to
> increase the volume.
>
> Tony

Aardvark

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RMjPf.75081$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Aardvark
>>>

>> Is it an old ISA card? PCI sound blaster normally install automatically
>> but ISA ones are not normally automatically installed.
>>
>> If you have an ISA card, you may have to edit etc/modules and add a line.
>>
>> Go to the command prompt (applications/accessories/terminal) and type:
>> sudo gedit etc/modules (you will be asked for your login password.
>> Additional info: Sudo allows you to make changes as root. gedit will
>> open a file for editing which comes in very handy and may help you
>> understand some of the instructions where it just says something like
>> "edit etc/modules" ).
>>
>> Type the new line: sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
>>
>> Save and close.
>>
>> Also turn off plug and play in bios.
>>
>> The volume control is usually set to the lowest so you will also have to

Oops! Apologies for top-posting. Won't happen again.

old jon

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wfjPf.26406$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >well it should NEVER have taken this long - most users >find it installs
> >in about 25 minutes.......

> MOST users. I can only assume that your use of the word 'most' implies
> that you are aware that the REST of the users might find that it takes
> substantially longer. So glad you understand this. Unfortunately your
> understanding does not help me with my sound driver problem. But thanks
> anyway.
>
> "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JRiPf.62356$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:wiiPf.73255$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After multiple attempts to install Ubuntu with Win XP as a dual-boot
>>> system, I gave up (although this is only temporary- no piece of ****
>>> computer is gonna beat ME) and decided to try on an old Win98SE box.
>>>
>>> Would you believe it? Installed first time! Took nearly 90 minutes
>>> though LOL.
>>>
>>> Everything works fine, although I find Ubuntu to takes a lot longer to
>>> boot than the Win98SE does and gives me a lot of unnecessary information
>>> as it does so (be nice to have something graphic as it boots). Well, I
>>> call it unnecessary now, but as I learn more about the OS, I dare say
>>> I'll understand what most of it means.
>>>
>>> The only fly in the ointment so far is the fact that my sound doesn't
>>> work. I would have assumed that a new OS would include native drivers
>>> for an old Sound Blaster 16 card. Apparently not.
>>>
>>> I googled for the correct drivers and was confronted with page after
>>> page of geek-speak and snippets of code which meant nothing to me. May
>>> as well have been Chinese for all the sense I got out of it. Believe me,
>>> I tried.
>>>
>>> Could someone point me in the direction of a site where I can try to
>>> understand how to install my drivers in plain English step by step? It
>>> would be nice to learn the system from first principles- some kind of
>>> Ubuntu primer out there on the net from which I can begin to understand
>>> at least a smidgin (or maybe a modicum) of what Ubuntu Linux is about.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Aardvark

>> http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html
>>
>> I`ve got Kubuntu on CD, that`s as far as I`ve got so far. <g>.
>> Don`t bother to ping `The Penguin Pushers` on here, they`re
>> all experts that know very little.
>> You`ll know that from the answer that Au79 gave.
>> And of course Gordons helpful answer.
>> Use Google and dig it out for yourself A.
>>
>> --
>> bw..OJ
>>

> Cheers old jon, I'll start my search for knowledge there. You never know-
> if I learn enough about Linux, in a few years I'll be an asshole just like
> Au79. That's a thing I'm really looking forward to.

I`ll wait till you`ve sussed it A., then you can help me <g>.

--
best wishes..OJ

Aardvark

> [...]
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Aardvark
>>>

>> Is it an old ISA card? PCI sound blaster normally install automatically
>> but ISA ones are not normally automatically installed.
>>
>> If you have an ISA card, you may have to edit etc/modules and add a line.
>>
>> Go to the command prompt (applications/accessories/terminal) and type:
>> sudo gedit etc/modules (you will be asked for your login password.
>> Additional info: Sudo allows you to make changes as root. gedit will
>> open a file for editing which comes in very handy and may help you
>> understand some of the instructions where it just says something like
>> "edit etc/modules" ).
>>
>> Type the new line: sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
>>
>> Save and close.
>>
>> Also turn off plug and play in bios.
>>
>> The volume control is usually set to the lowest so you will also have to

Followed your instructions to the letter. Tried to save the modules file.
Error message:-

Could not save the file '/home/conor/etc/modules'

Decided it might be a permission thing so I navigated to the 'modules' file
and looked at the 'properties' with the intention of changing the
permissions to make it writeable.

It seems I can't do that because the file doesn't belong to me.

As that PC isn't connected to the internet and it's a good 20 feet away from
this one and I can't be bothered at the moment running back and forward
between boxes, I've decided to do without sound on the other one for the
moment.

Oh, well.

On top of that Ubuntu, although it shows that my floppy drive is there on
the machine, seems to have a distinct unwillingness to read what's on a
floppy. I had saved Tony's advice to a text file in XP then tried to open it
in Ubuntu. No luck.Had to use a pen and paper LOL.