Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Browser Hijack?

Reply
Thread Tools

Browser Hijack?

 
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it is
relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.

When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to MSN.
I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
Secretmaker.

So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the first
two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to find
hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG.. but
I really don't know what to look for there

I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but can't
find it. Any help appreciated..

Bill


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
old jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
> Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it
> is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.
>
> When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
> SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to
> MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
> Secretmaker.
>
> So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
> Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the
> first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to
> find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
> automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
> think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG..
> but I really don't know what to look for there
>
> I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
> can't find it. Any help appreciated..
>
> Bill

D\load and install HijackThis from here Bill.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
It`ll stand you in good stead in the future.
Winpatrol is just warning you that MSN wants to be your
home page. Just keep saying No.

-- bw..OJ


--
bw..OJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
> D\load and install HijackThis from here Bill.
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
> It`ll stand you in good stead in the future.
> Winpatrol is just warning you that MSN wants to be your
> home page. Just keep saying No.
>
> -- bw..OJ


Thanks, OJ.. for both your constant help and your civility on this forum.

I tried your suggestion.. I did find a couple of yahoo toolbars that I
removed.. but, I couldn't find anything that related to the MSN browser..
more specifically.. it seems to want to change to msnallinone.asp..

It's a bit frustrating to have to say this each time I run Noadaware.. this
is usually when it happens.. and the browser listed in that utility is, in
fact.. google. Then WinPatrol picks it up as well as Secretmaker. Sheeesh.
I also looked at the startup in a variety of ways.. and couldn't find the
conflict.. I really am green at this.. so, hopefully it can be pinpointed.

Thanks again, Bill


 
Reply With Quote
 
Donald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
> Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it
> is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.
>
> When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
> SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to
> MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
> Secretmaker.
>
> So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
> Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the
> first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to
> find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
> automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
> think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG..
> but I really don't know what to look for there
>
> I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
> can't find it. Any help appreciated..
>
> Bill
>

Use you spybot to keep the home page you want


 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.

I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
found by these programs.


>>

> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Trax
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>
|>>>
|>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
|>>
|>

|>Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
|>can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
|>this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
|>
|>I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
|>found by these programs.
|>

Spybot comes with a utility called TeaTimer that sits in the systray
and warns of any changed to the registry or other important areas
(homepage) - very handy to have running.

Might act like "Secretmaker", I've never used it so I don't know.


--
http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
Thanks.. I found it..


"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>
> |>>>
> |>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
> |>>
> |>
>
> |>Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D
> and
> |>can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
> |>this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
> |>
> |>I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might
> be
> |>found by these programs.
> |>
>
> Spybot comes with a utility called TeaTimer that sits in the systray
> and warns of any changed to the registry or other important areas
> (homepage) - very handy to have running.
>
> Might act like "Secretmaker", I've never used it so I don't know.
>
>
> --
> http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
Donald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
> can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
> this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
>
> I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
> found by these programs.
>
>
>>>

>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
>>

>
>

open spybot click mode advanced /tools click resident


 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
Thanks for the help.. found it


"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>
> |>>>
> |>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
> |>>
> |>
>
> |>Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D
> and
> |>can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
> |>this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
> |>
> |>I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might
> be
> |>found by these programs.
> |>
>
> Spybot comes with a utility called TeaTimer that sits in the systray
> and warns of any changed to the registry or other important areas
> (homepage) - very handy to have running.
>
> Might act like "Secretmaker", I've never used it so I don't know.
>
>
> --
> http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html




 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2006
Thanks for your help.. found it..

"Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
>> can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
>> this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
>>
>> I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
>> found by these programs.
>>
>>
>>>>
>>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
>>>

>>
>>

> open spybot click mode advanced /tools click resident
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try this Latest Firefox browser at http://browser.friendsrus.net subs2me@gmail.com Firefox 9 12-28-2005 09:20 AM
Re: Browser plug-in to interact with browser DKM Java 15 06-12-2005 02:11 AM
Browser information not being sent to the Domain Master Browser Russell Stamper Cisco 1 10-12-2004 08:14 PM
Avant browser and MyIE2 browser becoming increasingly popular. Issues? xyZed HTML 9 05-12-2004 09:50 AM
Browser levels, PDAs and browser sniffing Lauchlan M ASP .Net 2 08-17-2003 04:58 PM



Advertisments