Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SATA drive in Dimension 2400 possibly boot ?

SATA drive in Dimension 2400 possibly boot ?

Edward M

Hi I purchased a WD sata drive along with a SYBA controller card.
after installing I can read the drive when booting from a ide
installed drive. But when trying to boot I get no boot device error.
Any ideas ?

Ed

old man

You can either boot or you cannot, so what exactly do you mean?

"Edward M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I purchased a WD sata drive along with a SYBA controller card.
> after installing I can read the drive when booting from a ide
> installed drive. But when trying to boot I get no boot device error.
> Any ideas ?
>
> Ed

Edward M

Can boot to other drive (IDE)set as master and can read sata drive,
but when setting sata to master and removing other drive I can not
boot.
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:16:39 GMT, "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You can either boot or you cannot, so what exactly do you mean?
>
>"Edward M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi I purchased a WD sata drive along with a SYBA controller card.
>> after installing I can read the drive when booting from a ide
>> installed drive. But when trying to boot I get no boot device error.
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Ed

Edward M

Bascially I am not seeing in the Bios " Boot to Scsi device"
or anything like that.

Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:04:43 GMT, Edward M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can boot to other drive (IDE)set as master and can read sata drive,
>but when setting sata to master and removing other drive I can not
>boot.
>On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:16:39 GMT, "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>You can either boot or you cannot, so what exactly do you mean?
>>
>>"Edward M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hi I purchased a WD sata drive along with a SYBA controller card.
>>> after installing I can read the drive when booting from a ide
>>> installed drive. But when trying to boot I get no boot device error.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>>
>>> Ed

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Edward M spewed forth:
> Bascially I am not seeing in the Bios " Boot to Scsi device"
> or anything like that.

Since you ADDED a PCI card for your SATA, the BIOS in the Dimension 2400
doesn't know how to boot from the SATA drive. If your SATA adapter is
designed to boot, you need to work on that issue instead. Mabye not all
adapters are designed to boot. This one is:
http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/2-por...d-internal.htm (or so they
say) while this one isn't:
http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/interf...ds/VantecSATA/ (or at least they
don't say it does).