Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > The File Sizes of Pictures on my CDs Increased to Unreadable Sizes

The File Sizes of Pictures on my CDs Increased to Unreadable Sizes

Marful

Sounds more like they are being read incorrectly than the disk is corrupt.

First off try it in another machine or even a DVD player if you can.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

bwachter@gmail.com

[...]

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> OK, so I'm pretty stumped by this one and I've looked all over the net
> for a solution without success.
>
> I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
> taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
> fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.
>
> However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
> to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
> times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
> pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
> unreadable from any machine I have tried.
>
> Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
> The program cannot read the CDs either.
>
> The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
> only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
> from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
> would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
> that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
> IDM Web Viewer.

If the CDs are the exact same ones you've been using I don't think
there's been any converting going on that would leave the files on the
CDs different sizes. Have the CDs been damaged in any way? Scratches,
scuffs, holes in the label, bent out of shape, etc??

Trax

Check out forceaspi http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

|>However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
|>to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
|>times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
|>pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
|>unreadable from any machine I have tried.
|>
|>Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
|>The program cannot read the CDs either.
|>
|>The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
|>only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
|>from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
|>would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
|>that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
|>IDM Web Viewer.
|>
|>Any help would be appreciated.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
> taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
> fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.

Hopefully, you converted them to .jpg or .png before using them on your
web site.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Dingus

> I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
> taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
> fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.
>
> However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
> to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
> times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
> pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
> unreadable from any machine I have tried.
>
> Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
> The program cannot read the CDs either.
>
> The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
> only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
> from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
> would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
> that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
> IDM Web Viewer.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible that there are 2 sets of discs a... 1 set .jpeg, 1 set .tiff
and you confused them? Are you the only one who has access to the discs?
Maybe you have a copy of the original and don't know it.
Are the discs CDRW? That would be the only way the discs could have been
rewritten to an increased file size.
The app. you are using to open the photos, can you open other discs of
photos? both .tiff and .jpeg?
D.

bwachter@gmail.com

Thanks. I've tried a couple machines and at your suggestion I tried in
the DVD player. No luck, though.

bwachter@gmail.com

There are no real visible damages. I guess the reason I assumed this
is not the issue is because the exact same thing has happened to both
picture CDs.

I'll try cleaning - thanks for the reply.

bwachter@gmail.com

I'm not sure how forceaspi can help me with this problem?

bwachter@gmail.com

I did, yes. They load fine on www.meenkyole.com.