Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP taking absolutely ages to display folder contents

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows XP taking absolutely ages to display folder contents

 
 
Matt B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
folder contents.

For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
instantaneous.

I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
problem has only started happening recently.

Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

Matt
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Marful
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
How much RAM do you have?

Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?

"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
> folder contents.
>
> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
> instantaneous.
>
> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
> problem has only started happening recently.
>
> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
>
> Matt



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matt B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:11:26 GMT, "Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How much RAM do you have?
>
>Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?



Hi -

I have 512MB. It's a fast machine - less than 2 years old.

I defragmented it last weekend, but that didn't improve it.

Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
reason).

I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
loose or anything?

Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.

Matt


>
>"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
>> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
>> folder contents.
>>
>> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
>> instantaneous.
>>
>> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
>> problem has only started happening recently.
>>
>> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
>>
>> Matt

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trax
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
Matt B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
|>number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
|>folder contents.
|>
|>For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
|>instantaneous.
|>
|>I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
|>problem has only started happening recently.
|>
|>Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

Just the single directory? if so look for a bad file name.
too long, bad characters used, one or a few just not right.




--
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
Marful
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006

"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:11:26 GMT, "Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>How much RAM do you have?
>>
>>Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?

>
>
> Hi -
>
> I have 512MB. It's a fast machine - less than 2 years old.
>
> I defragmented it last weekend, but that didn't improve it.
>
> Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
> recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
> reason).
>
> I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
> loose or anything?
>
> Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
> folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.
>
> Matt
>
>

Would tend to agree if it was a connection problem it's either on or off but
wouldn't hurt to check if only to rule it out.

Check your system resources (ctrl alt del) and make sure nothing is eating
those up.

Is it a large drive, if so is there one partition or many?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
Matt B wrote:

> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
> folder contents.
>

Usually caused by explorer extensions.

> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
> instantaneous.
>
> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
> problem has only started happening recently.
>
> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
>

Is there a difference in speed when you switch from detailed to list view?
Did you (un)install some program that provides explorer "enhancements"
recently?

--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
old jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006

"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
> folder contents.
>
> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
> instantaneous.
>
> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
> problem has only started happening recently.
>
> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
>
> Matt
>

Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
over to one side of the screen.
Now try to open that folder.
Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
Might give you a clue.

-- bw..OJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
Matt B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:01:08 GMT, "old jon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
>> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
>> folder contents.
>>
>> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
>> instantaneous.
>>
>> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
>> problem has only started happening recently.
>>
>> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
>>
>> Matt
>>

>Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
>over to one side of the screen.
>Now try to open that folder.
>Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
>Might give you a clue.
>
>-- bw..OJ
>


Marful, Trax, Walter, Jon -

Thanks for the help. By looking at the Task Manager processes as
advised I think I've solved the problem.

Turns out that every time I open a folder, McShield.exe jumps to
between 40% and 50%. Killing this process brings all folder loading
times back down to less than a second.

Web sources tell me that McSheild.exe is a background process of
McAfee virusscan which checks all files for viruses. Given that the
folders where I was particularly noticing the problem are filled with
large (1 MB) plain text files, I can only think it was going through
the complete text of each file to check for viruses / scripts.

Things are now back to normal. I'll just have to live with no virus
file scanning for the time being.

Thanks again for the advice.

Matt
 
Reply With Quote
 
old jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006

"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:01:08 GMT, "old jon"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Matt B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
>>> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
>>> folder contents.

snipped a bit
>>>

>>Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
>>over to one side of the screen.
>>Now try to open that folder.
>>Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
>>Might give you a clue.
>>
>>-- bw..OJ
>>

>
> Marful, Trax, Walter, Jon -
>
> Thanks for the help. By looking at the Task Manager processes as
> advised I think I've solved the problem.
>
> Turns out that every time I open a folder, McShield.exe jumps to
> between 40% and 50%. Killing this process brings all folder loading
> times back down to less than a second.
>
> Web sources tell me that McSheild.exe is a background process of
> McAfee virusscan which checks all files for viruses. Given that the
> folders where I was particularly noticing the problem are filled with
> large (1 MB) plain text files, I can only think it was going through
> the complete text of each file to check for viruses / scripts.
>
> Things are now back to normal. I'll just have to live with no virus
> file scanning for the time being.
>
> Thanks again for the advice.
>
> Matt
>

Well done that man. Thanks for coming back.
there`s always a way <g>.

--
bw..OJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2006
Matt B wrote:

> Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
> recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
> reason).
>
> I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
> loose or anything?
>
> Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
> folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.
>
> Matt


If you have a noisy case fan it may be no big deal. But YES big deal if
it's the CPU fan. Regardless of getting the folders to open quickly, you
should make sure your CPU is properly cooled. If it overheats you can
get some of the weirdest behavior and then all of a sudden it won't do
anything at all anymore.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
if innerHTML used twice then it replaces the contents i want it to display all the contents virendra.amritkar@gmail.com Javascript 0 06-29-2007 08:13 AM
Windows XP Logon taking ages and icons are 'broken' AcidX Computer Information 1 03-05-2006 01:15 AM
Thunderbird - it takes ages to get mail uerbe Firefox 2 05-21-2005 09:22 PM
Wireless connection takes ages - help? DavidM Wireless Networking 2 04-05-2005 05:59 PM
C: Drive takes ages after SP2 installed Brando Computer Support 6 09-24-2004 04:07 PM



Advertisments