Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange registry key - should I delete?

Strange registry key - should I delete?

EApplegate@pduke.org

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$

There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs don't
seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
scan?

Meat Plow

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:46:26 -0600, EApplegate wrote:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
>
> There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
> registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs don't
> seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
> scan?

Version 6 of something. Maybe MS VB, Vista, hard to tell. No need to mess
with it if the PC operates ok.

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 05 Mar 2006
00:46:26 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
from this open and apparent shame?:

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
>
>There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
>registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs

don't
>seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep

registry
>scan?

Wheneven I'm mucking about in the registry and find weird **** that
will probably totally **** up everything if I delete it, I export it
to my desktop, delete it, then reboot and see how things go for a few
WEEKS. If everything is cool I can delete, if not it's EZ to restore.
At least it has been so far, but I'm sure there will be a time when I
do this and will sorely regret it.
Like dude said (sorta) "If it ain't broke..."

--

Turn off that damned internet!
http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

mistletoad

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:

> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:46:26 -0600, EApplegate wrote:
>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
>>
>> There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and
>> backing up the registry first? The multitude of spyware
>> scanners and AV programs don't seem to pick up anything.
>> Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry scan?

> Version 6 of something. Maybe MS VB, Vista, hard to tell.
> No need to mess with it if the PC operates ok.

You must be Microsoft's model of an IDEAL customer.

To the OP: if you have an disk-imaging program, clean up
everything in the registry (There are many programs who do a
pretty good job. The M$ reg cleaner is NOT one of them)(do not
delete the key in question just in case), delete all temp files,
just defrag, etc. etc. Then make an image.

If you don't have an image program, do what the next poster
suggested.

Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also be
suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows XP behind
your back. It has been called (by people who know a LOT about
computers) nothing but a big call-home Trojan. That's why I will
NEVER install it.

And that's why all M$-manufactured "security" tools are useless,
as if the daily security bulletins didn't give you enough of a
clue.

EApplegate@pduke.org

mistletoad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also be
> suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows XP behind
> your back. It has been called (by people who know a LOT about
> computers) nothing but a big call-home Trojan. That's why I will
> NEVER install it.

so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?

mistletoad

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> mistletoad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also
>> be suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows
>> XP behind your back. It has been called (by people who
>> know a LOT about computers) nothing but a big call-home
>> Trojan. That's why I will NEVER install it.

> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?

If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
internet).

Now, please, show some maturity and restrain yourself from
flaming.

Regards.

mistletoad

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> mistletoad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also
>> be suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows
>> XP behind your back. It has been called (by people who
>> know a LOT about computers) nothing but a big call-home
>> Trojan. That's why I will NEVER install it.

> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?

If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
internet).

Now, please, show some maturity and restrain yourself from
flaming.

Regards.

Margolotta

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
(in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> mistletoad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>>> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also
>>> be suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows
>>> XP behind your back. It has been called (by people who
>>> know a LOT about computers) nothing but a big call-home
>>> Trojan. That's why I will NEVER install it.

>> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?
>>

> If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
> 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
> purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
> internet).

2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard drive...?;o)

mistletoad

Margolotta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). net:

> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
> (in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> mistletoad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?
>>>

>> If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with
>> some 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for
>> my purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4
>> (no internet).

> 2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard
> drive...?;o)

Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know that). I
wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it) but 98 can only
use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works fine. Both machines boot
in under 20 seconds and never crash. Nor do I ever have to do
the "Windows Update" ****. I'm happy (well, with my machines -
my life BLOWS). Are you happy?

Margolotta

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:45:13 +0000, mistletoad wrote
(in article <Xns977EF1B95986Cmistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

> Margolotta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed). net:
>
>> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
>> (in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with
>>> some 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for
>>> my purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4
>>> (no internet).

>> 2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard
>> drive...?;o)
>>

> Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know that). I
> wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it) but 98 can only
> use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works fine. Both machines boot
> in under 20 seconds and never crash. Nor do I ever have to do
> the "Windows Update" ****. I'm happy (well, with my machines -
> my life BLOWS). Are you happy?

I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think you were one of those
folks who didn't know the difference between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for
that matter - and, yes, there is a difference - a huge difference - ones
eight times bigger than the other).