Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Horse Riding

Horse Riding

myrt webb

I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
wrong horse.

The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.

My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
chore.

Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

Glenn D. Crosse

My mail box is getting flooded with them too.
Scary virus as the email is "official" Microsoft looking and encourages one
to install the virus.
Glenn
MCNGP #16

"myrt webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03f301c37ece$ce50a420$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
> wrong horse.
>
> The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
> getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
> with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.
>
> My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
> think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
> were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
> mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
> MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
> chore.
>
> Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

licknlabia

Well, here's the deal

Linux is more secure out of the box, but like Windows, you have to make it
secure as well. We're primarily a windows shop, as we roughly have about 75
servers on win2k, a few on 2k3, and few OpenBSD & redhat machines.

It depends on what your company's requirements are, where I work, we develop
on windows and utilize the .NET framework.

Just some of the compatibility between windows and your flavor of linux is
not quite there yet.

just my 2 cents.

- lnl

"myrt webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03f301c37ece$ce50a420$(E-Mail Removed)...
I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
wrong horse.

The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.

My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
chore.

Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

billyw

thing to think about here it that ms is so prevelant that there is going to
be more attacks against it.. also jealousy of bg is rampant so you get all
these geeks attacking it.
that said linux had to be patched recently, and no doubt if it gets bigger
then more will happen with regard to that.. the concern is that with linux
being open source, who are you going to hassle to get it fixed?

the good thing right now is that there is a chance that ms may decline a
bit. that might mean they change their stupid pricing policy and also the
licences which are a total joke.

"myrt webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03f301c37ece$ce50a420$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
> wrong horse.
>
> The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
> getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
> with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.
>
> My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
> think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
> were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
> mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
> MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
> chore.
>
> Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

Davin Mickelson

If I was going to switch to the evil side and wanted to write a virus, it
would be much easier to create it for the software that I had the source
code for. Heck, I'd just tweak a source file, recompile and... never mind.
I'm just not interested.

Open source means no secrets and simple reproducibility.

Davin Mickelson

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thing to think about here it that ms is so prevelant that there is going

> be more attacks against it.. also jealousy of bg is rampant so you get all
> these geeks attacking it.
> that said linux had to be patched recently, and no doubt if it gets bigger
> then more will happen with regard to that.. the concern is that with linux
> being open source, who are you going to hassle to get it fixed?
>
> the good thing right now is that there is a chance that ms may decline a
> bit. that might mean they change their stupid pricing policy and also the
> licences which are a total joke.
>
> "myrt webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:03f301c37ece$ce50a420$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
> > wrong horse.
> >
> > The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
> > getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
> > with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.
> >
> > My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
> > think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
> > were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
> > mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
> > MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
> > chore.
> >
> > Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

Laura A. Robinson

circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:55:18 -0700, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, myrt webb ((E-Mail Removed))
said,
> I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
> wrong horse.
>
> The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
> getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
> with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.
>
> My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
> think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
> were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
> mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
> MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
> chore.
>
> Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

I work in an environment that has everything under the sun, so I
think not.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura A. Robinson

circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:05:23 +0100, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, billyw ((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> so, the environment you work in has shania twain...

Well, yes, but what difference does that make?
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Consultant

laura, i found this stuff id like to try on you, called liquid latex, you
game?

"Laura A. Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:05:23 +0100, in
> microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, billyw ((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> > so, the environment you work in has shania twain...
> >

> Well, yes, but what difference does that make?
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

Laura A. Robinson

circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:52:54 -0700, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> laura, i found this stuff id like to try on you, called liquid latex, you
> game?

Sorry, that option is not available in this revision.
--
Four legs good, two legs bad.
-George Orwell

myrt webb

So what is the solution. Change your mailbox?

My ISP says I have a virus but my Scanning with the latest
definitions do not find anything.

My ISP is kinda ignorant anyway.