Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restore OE as default mail client

Restore OE as default mail client

Richard Brookman

I have used Outlook Express for years now and I'm quite happy with it. I
recently installed an evaluation version of Free Agent, didn't like it, and
uninstalled it. Now, whenever I click on a mail link on a webpage, it tells
me "Could not perform this operation because the default email client is not
properly installed." Before I had Free Agent, it would just launch OE and
get on with the job.

There was an option when installing Agent to make it the default client, but
I told it "no". Seems it didn't listen.

Can anyone tell me what to do to make OE the default email client again?
(OE is already set as the default program in Tools/Internet
Options/Programs.) ISTR doing this before, and it was possible, but not
obvious.

TIA

--
Rich
==============================

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and
those who don't.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard Brookman wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what to do to make OE the default email client
> again? (OE is already set as the default program in Tools/Internet
> Options/Programs.) ISTR doing this before, and it was possible, but
> not obvious.

Tools > Options > General tab

You take it from there...

Why not try Thunderbird for email? Much more like OE, but also secure.
http://mozilla.org/thunderbird/

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Richard Brookman

....and Beauregard T. Shagnasty spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

> Richard Brookman wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what to do to make OE the default email client
>> again? (OE is already set as the default program in Tools/Internet
>> Options/Programs.) ISTR doing this before, and it was possible, but
>> not obvious.

> Tools > Options > General tab
>
> You take it from there...

Doh! How come I spent an hour looking for that and didn't find it?
<blushes>

> Why not try Thunderbird for email? Much more like OE, but also secure.
> http://mozilla.org/thunderbird/

Will give it a try, thanks for the tip.

--
Rich
==============================

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Dingus

> Can anyone tell me what to do to make OE the default email client again?
> (OE is already set as the default program in Tools/Internet
> Options/Programs.) ISTR doing this before, and it was possible, but not
> obvious.

Make sure that it is set as default in windows.
Start>Set Program Access and Defaults>click on the down arrows in
Custom>Choose a default email program.