Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lights on, nobody home (mobo problem)

Lights on, nobody home (mobo problem)

Kamawell

I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.

>From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
how likely it is to be the mobo?

Thanks

Andy

old jon

"Kamawell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
> There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
> an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
> the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
> any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
> Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.
>
>>From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

> that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
> suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
> how likely it is to be the mobo?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Do a meter test on the PSU first.
Red and Black = 5v.
Yellow and Black = 12v.

--
bw..OJ

Dingus

"Kamawell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
> There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
> an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
> the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
> any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
> Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.

Check the switch. Had a generic PC/case... a similiar thing happen to me.
The switch needed to be repaired. Hot glue and plasitic cable wraps.

Bill

On 4 Mar 2006 06:33:43 -0800, Kamawell wrote:

> I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
> There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
> an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
> the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
> any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
> Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.
>
>>From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

> that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
> suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
> how likely it is to be the mobo?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Bootfailure troubleshooting flow chart poster (free)
http://www.fonerbooks.com/poster.pdf