Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replacing Desktop Hard Drive

Replacing Desktop Hard Drive

marz888@gmail.com

A friend's Dell desktop's main hard drive is trashed. I've told her to
buy a new hard drive and I'll install it. However, will the Dell
restore disc install Windows XP? I thought I read or heard somewhere
that the CD looks at the hard drive for some files before installing
Windows. If they are not there, or it's a new HD, it won't install.

Thanks,

Mark

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) spewed forth:
> A friend's Dell desktop's main hard drive is trashed. I've told her
> to buy a new hard drive and I'll install it. However, will the Dell
> restore disc install Windows XP? I thought I read or heard somewhere
> that the CD looks at the hard drive for some files before installing
> Windows. If they are not there, or it's a new HD, it won't install.

That depends on how new the Dell is. Many of the newer ones ship with a
"restore image" on a special partition. If she has one of those, she may
need to get in touch with Dell to deal with the problem. They use Symantec
Ghost to make that image file, IIRC.

On the other systems that shipped with a CD with XP setup files on it, it
shouldn't need any special hard drive. The Windows XP setup disc should run
and install just fine. But be certain she has the driver files CD as well so
the rest of the hardware can be set up correctly.

SgtMinor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> A friend's Dell desktop's main hard drive is trashed. I've told her to
> buy a new hard drive and I'll install it. However, will the Dell
> restore disc install Windows XP? I thought I read or heard somewhere
> that the CD looks at the hard drive for some files before installing
> Windows. If they are not there, or it's a new HD, it won't install.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

What about the existing hard drive tells you that it's trashed?
Has it stopped turning altogether or is it just having problems
reading some of its data? If it's just a question of a lot of
read/write problems, SpinRite from http://www.grc.com could bring
that hard drive back to life.

Marz

The system at boot says there is no boot drive. Using the Dell
diagnostics disk shows the same thing - no HD, but everything else
shows up just fine. The HD just keeps grinding at startup. I had the
same thing happen to an external drive on my system, and it was the
controller on it. For the same money, my friend could get another
drive. She really doesn't have much on the drive as I had just
re-installed XP on her system 3 weeks ago. It was a hand-me-down
'puter, so we started from scratch.

Thanks for the advice with SpinRite. Being a Mac user, I don't have it
and it's not something I'm going to invest in since I don't fix
people's Windows PC's on any kind of regular basis. And with the drive
not being recognized, I'm not sure SpinRite would help me in this
matter.

To Tim...The 'puter seems to be about 2 years old at most. So that's
why I think there is a special partition. She has about 3-4 Dell CD's
with various files on it so if it's the older version we should be
fine. I'd just like to know better if I'm going to need to tell her to
get a full version of XP if it won't install with the Dell CD's.