Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wireless desktop problem

wireless desktop problem

Marful

Hi All,

I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.

The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond. I
tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2 keyboard
and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the weirdest
thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.

Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
not recognising any mouse as being installed.

Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

old man

http://www.labtec.com/index.cfm/serv...=68,crid2=1763
Looked in Control Panel for the mouse icon/properties?

"Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jv0Of.21732$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
>
> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond.

> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2

keyboard
> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the

weirdest
> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
>
> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
>
> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

Meat Plow

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
>
> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond. I
> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2 keyboard
> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the weirdest
> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
>
> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
>
> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

Buy Logitech

Marful

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsW0Of.58704$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.labtec.com/index.cfm/serv...=68,crid2=1763
> Looked in Control Panel for the mouse icon/properties?

I looked in control panel and XP is not seeing any h/w. I tried intalling
the driver at the above link but no joy there either. I also found the
drivers on the disk but when I tried to use the win add hardware wizard it
wouldn't give me the option to add a mouse and won't let me directly install
drivers from the .inf or .sys file itself

Thanks

Marful

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
>>
>> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not
>> respond. I
>> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
>> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
>> keyboard
>> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the
>> weirdest
>> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
>> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
>> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
>>
>> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
>> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
>>
>> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
>> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

> Buy Logitech

Probably in future but can't return the item so I'm stuck with it.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:58:39 +0000, Marful wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
>>>
>>> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not
>>> respond. I
>>> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
>>> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
>>> keyboard
>>> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the
>>> weirdest
>>> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
>>> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
>>> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
>>>
>>> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
>>> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
>>>
>>> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
>>> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
>>>
>>> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

>> Buy Logitech
>> --
>>
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

> Probably in future but can't return the item so I'm stuck with it.

I prefer Logitech. I have wireless combos on 98, Linux, Server 2003, W2K,
XP and never had a problem with them. I don't even install the Logitech
software, just use the Windows or Linux HIB compliant drivers.

Jimmy Dean

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 GMT, "Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
>locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

Some drivers only install via a SETUP program, rather than by pointing
the Add new hardware wizard to a certain directory on the CD. Not sure
if this is the case here but it's a possibility you should check.

jd

Marful

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 GMT, "Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
>>locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

> Some drivers only install via a SETUP program, rather than by pointing
> the Add new hardware wizard to a certain directory on the CD. Not sure
> if this is the case here but it's a possibility you should check.
>
> jd

Yeah I ran the set-up program but to no avail - XP still will not recognise
that a mouse is present. It's a windows detection error - I'll contact
Microsoft to see if they have any ideas - Labtec tech support sent me an
email back on a solution for a logitech wireless mouse!!

Marful

"Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jv0Of.21732$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
>
> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond.
> I tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
> keyboard and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But
> the weirdest thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when
> I take the batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the
> batteries are low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
>
> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
>
> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,
>

>I've just discovered this morning - don't know why I didn't trry it
>before - that the mouse will also work if a standard PS/2 keyboard is
>plugged in.

That is to say each device will function independently but not together.

I thought it may be a power problem but tried a higher rated PSU and they
still don't function together.

Marful

"Marful" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jv0Of.21732$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,

Solved it - in case anyone else has a similar problem I needed to disable
USB legacy support in BIOS.
Simple eh!

Cheers for the suggestions!