Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Software's Program Termination After Four Years: How ?

Software's Program Termination After Four Years: How ?

Robert11

Hello:

Am about to buy some "Academic" software.
Comes on a read only CD.

Interesting thing is that the software expires in 4 years after the
installation, and supposedly after the four years it will not run anymore.
No problem, as by that time it will be outdated, but was wondering -

How do they do this ?
As they can't write back onto the read-only CD, I guess one easy way is just
to keep track of the PC's clock for the four years, and then disable the
program in the PC.

But what would prevent anyone from just re-installing the program from the
CD, and starting
another four year period ?

Very curious as to how this might be done.
Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
B.

Cub

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello:
>
> Am about to buy some "Academic" software.
> Comes on a read only CD.
>
> Interesting thing is that the software expires in 4 years after the
> installation, and supposedly after the four years it will not run anymore.
> No problem, as by that time it will be outdated, but was wondering -
>
> How do they do this ?
> As they can't write back onto the read-only CD, I guess one easy way is
> just to keep track of the PC's clock for the four years, and then disable
> the program in the PC.
>
> But what would prevent anyone from just re-installing the program from the
> CD, and starting
> another four year period ?
>
> Very curious as to how this might be done.
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

I guess they could use a number of methods, ie hiding hidden
processes/timers, basically to reinstall after 4 years the worst thing you
would have to do is install again from the CD on a fresh installation of the
OS.. They might have a product key that when used after 4 years the
application could work out from the current date that it is in fact over 4
years old , but COA's quite often can be cracked so I'm told

Regards

Cub

Plato

Robert11 wrote:

> Am about to buy some "Academic" software.
> Comes on a read only CD.
>
> Interesting thing is that the software expires in 4 years after the
> installation, and supposedly after the four years it will not run anymore.
> No problem, as by that time it will be outdated, but was wondering -
>
> How do they do this ?
> As they can't write back onto the read-only CD, I guess one easy way is just
> to keep track of the PC's clock for the four years, and then disable the
> program in the PC.
>
> But what would prevent anyone from just re-installing the program from the
> CD, and starting
> another four year period ?

Well, the file that keeps track of the 4 year period may be locked
and/or hard to find. You'd probably have to format the drive after 4
years to get the program to work again.

Or, and this is just a guess. But lets say you coded the cd to check the
date/year when installing, and if the current date on the new pc is lets
say, 2010, it wont install. That wouldn't be hard to code.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Stickems.

Try advancing the PC date by 10 years before you load the CD. If the program
works you know that it will continue to work for the next 14 years. Reset
the date and if it works, fine, if not ask the supplier how to fix it.