Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > News Reader/Browser/OS for low Spec laptop

Reply
Thread Tools

News Reader/Browser/OS for low Spec laptop

 
 
=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Hi,

I have a Tosh 440CDT 64MByte laptop currently running Win98SE +
Thuderbird + MSIE. Plus Zone Alarm Plus AVG + NeswBin Pro.

Can anyone suggest a combination of OS and applications that would do
the same job on that machine, only better?
--
Many thanks,
Sue
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Palindrâ~»me wrote:

> I have a Tosh 440CDT 64MByte laptop currently running Win98SE +
> Thuderbird + MSIE. Plus Zone Alarm Plus AVG + NeswBin Pro.
>
> Can anyone suggest a combination of OS and applications that would do
> the same job on that machine, only better?


If you have some ways to defend your insecurities with that OS, which
/is/ possible/ and if you can 'function' for all of the websites you use
without IE and if you can be happy without IE's integration with your
Windows explorer, that is, if you could be happy with the old W95
Windows explorer, you could removed IE from the system altogether, a la
LitePC the old 98lite and use Opera or FireFox for your browser.
LitePC is here http://www.litepc.com/ 98lite is our unique system
utility to customize and tweak Windows9x for performance

Without IE, your machine would use its 64 megs of ram more efficiently;
without IE your browsing experience would be more secure.

If you try to use a linux system with 64 megs of ram and you are
accustomed to your Windows familiar graphical interface, you are going
to be disappointed. It is hard to get a good graphical linux to run on
64 megs of ram because of the Xwindows problem.

You would be better off with more ram so that you would have more
latitude -- if you could 'find' some throwaway ram that someone isn't
using anymore and could upgrade your machine. Somewhere I read the max
the machine can handle is 144 meg and/but if you try to buy it 'retail'
it is way too expensive - like an antique. There's something wrong with
paying a lot of money for antique ram.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Mike Easter wrote:
> Palindrâ~»me wrote:
>
>
>>I have a Tosh 440CDT 64MByte laptop currently running Win98SE +
>>Thuderbird + MSIE. Plus Zone Alarm Plus AVG + NeswBin Pro.
>>
>>Can anyone suggest a combination of OS and applications that would do
>>the same job on that machine, only better?

>
>
> If you have some ways to defend your insecurities with that OS, which
> /is/ possible/ and if you can 'function' for all of the websites you use
> without IE and if you can be happy without IE's integration with your
> Windows explorer, that is, if you could be happy with the old W95
> Windows explorer, you could removed IE from the system altogether, a la
> LitePC the old 98lite and use Opera or FireFox for your browser.
> LitePC is here http://www.litepc.com/ 98lite is our unique system
> utility to customize and tweak Windows9x for performance
>
> Without IE, your machine would use its 64 megs of ram more efficiently;
> without IE your browsing experience would be more secure.


It isn't on a network, isn't used for anything much other than writing
newsgroup posts and certainly not for accessing bank accounts, internet
shopping, Paypal, etc. So the security isn't too great an issue.

>
> If you try to use a linux system with 64 megs of ram and you are
> accustomed to your Windows familiar graphical interface, you are going
> to be disappointed. It is hard to get a good graphical linux to run on
> 64 megs of ram because of the Xwindows problem.


That was what I was wondering. I could maybe up it to 144 as I do have a
128 SODIMM in another machine (that only acts as a firewall router with
non-graphical interface, so could probably manage easily on 64/80).
>
> You would be better off with more ram so that you would have more
> latitude -- if you could 'find' some throwaway ram that someone isn't
> using anymore and could upgrade your machine. Somewhere I read the max
> the machine can handle is 144 meg and/but if you try to buy it 'retail'
> it is way too expensive - like an antique. There's something wrong with
> paying a lot of money for antique ram.
>

Yep. The price of a replacement battery is more that was paid for this
laptop. Crying shame, it is still working well. I hate throwing out
stuff that isn't faulty.

Thanks!
--
Sue
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Palindrâ~»me wrote:

> That was what I was wondering. I could maybe up it to 144 as I do
> have a 128 SODIMM in another machine (that only acts as a firewall
> router with non-graphical interface, so could probably manage easily
> on 64/80).


You could setup a serious linux firewall router machine with the 64 megs
or even less.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Palindr☻me wrote:

BTW, your handle appears in funky ways depending on how the reader is
configured to handle UTF-8.

It might show up as a happyface above [or at least I can see it during
my editing] where the ☻goes between the 'r' and 'm' -- or it might not,
I don't know yet -- instead of an 'o' as in Palindrome.

On my system without reconfiguring, it looks like

Palindrâ~»me which has the ansi/ascii chars

a circumflex
similarity sign
right double guillemet

... or on my system raw or in the header it looks like:

?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?

Between the ? that is for UTF-8 encoding base64 then the b64

The b64 becomes 80 97 108 105 110 100 114 226 152 187 109 101 in decimal
ascii equivalents

.... and you can see those 3 chars over 128 in there between 114 and 109

Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Mike Easter wrote:
> Palindrâ~»me wrote:


That didn't work right.

On my default system, your handle appears Palindr [a circuflex +
similarity sign + right double guillement] me, where your replacement of
'o' with the happyface symbol becomes 3 extended ascii.

If I enable international characters or other strategies for getting
unicode functionality, I can see and edit Palindr [happyface symbol] me

> Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.


That was the point I was trying to make, but it didn't work right. When
I put in the extended ascii, those chars started morphing into more and
different extended ascii chars.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2006
Mike Easter wrote:
> Palindr☻me wrote:
>
> BTW, your handle appears in funky ways depending on how the reader is
> configured to handle UTF-8.

<snip good stuff>
> Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.
>


I was initially only using a private newsgroup where I had to use UTF-8
- a lot of the writing was math. It didn't matter that I had a UTF-8
handle when everything was in unicode and I didn't know any better than
not to use one.
'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all these
public groups. Whereas I can set the character set per group - I can't
change the handle per group. As I didn't want to use a different handle
in the private group as that would screw up auditing and didn't want to
have to change it for every "other" post.. I have kept it.

I keep hoping that usenet, etc becomes unicode compliant so that
multi-byte chars are handled consistently, then the problem will disappear..

--
Sue







--
Sue



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
Palindrâ~»me wrote:

> I was initially only using a private newsgroup


> 'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all
> these public groups.


Ha and wow -- there's a culture shock.

Going from peaceful civilized, 'directed' discourse on some nice quiet
little private newsserver all the way over to someplace like 24h which
is all over the map.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
Mike Easter wrote:
> Palindrâ~»me wrote:
>
>
>>I was initially only using a private newsgroup

>
>
>> 'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all
>>these public groups.

>
>
> Ha and wow -- there's a culture shock.
>
> Going from peaceful civilized, 'directed' discourse on some nice quiet
> little private newsserver all the way over to someplace like 24h which
> is all over the map.
>

LOL, too true...I still don't know which way is up...

--
Sue
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pcos low carb diet. Low carb diet program. Cholesterol low carb diet.Low carb diet foods. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low carb diabetes diet. Low fat high carb diet. The low carb diet.Low carb diet pregnancy. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low carb calorie diet. No low carb diet. Free low carb diet. Low carbdiet meal plan. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low Fat, Low Carb, Low Calorie and every other crazy fad diet youhave tried. ruxandra C++ 0 04-14-2009 07:00 PM
How to control order of spec execution in "spec specs/* " ? Andrew Chen Ruby 1 03-25-2008 12:36 PM



Advertisments