Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Given extra time against my will

Given extra time against my will

James Waite

Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.

I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?

James

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>
> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?

So bring a GameBoy Advanced...

--
Fris "Or a not-so-advanced GameGirl®" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

billyw

whats whacked about it?
just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean that
the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't specify
the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..

"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>
> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
>
> James

James Waite

Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,

1. Ask for it.
2. Provide documentation they need it.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>whats whacked about it?
>just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean that
>the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't specify
>the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
>
>"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
>> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
>> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
>> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>>
>> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
>> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
>> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
>> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
>>
>> James

James Waite

That's the thing

1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up

2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:19:50 +0100, "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>surely when in germany then it would be safe to assume that the majority of
>the test victims would be germans speakers.
>so why would a german in germany feel he had to specifically ask for
>1. the test in german.
>2, provide documents they speak german.
>
>can you provide documents that you speak english.. i would suggest a
>passport is not such a document btw.
>
>not thought a lot about this have you....
>

>"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
>> US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
>> seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,
>>
>> 1. Ask for it.
>> 2. Provide documentation they need it.
>>

>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >whats whacked about it?
>> >just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean

>that
>> >the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't

>specify
>> >the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
>> >
>> >"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

Kendal Emery

Just a question....

Why do really care? It is not like they are forcing you to take an extra 30
minutes. You can still quit an leave when you are finished. So why are you
so upset that they are giving you an extra 30 minutes? It seems like the
rest of us should be upset that we are not given the extra 30 minutes. (Not
that I really care, I usually finish with at least 30 minutes to spare)

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>
> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
>
> James

Consultant

you are just whacked

"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>
> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
>
> James

Petter Børkeeiet

I can't (and won't) ask for Norwegian exams.

But why cry about 30 mins extra time? You can go home when you are ready for
a beer. I'm not that good in English but I have never used the extra time,
the latest 70-229 was done in 55 mins.

Petter
Oslo, Norway
"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's the thing
>
> 1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
> langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up
>
> 2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
> but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
> California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.
>

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:19:50 +0100, "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >surely when in germany then it would be safe to assume that the majority

of
> >the test victims would be germans speakers.
> >so why would a german in germany feel he had to specifically ask for
> >1. the test in german.
> >2, provide documents they speak german.
> >
> >can you provide documents that you speak english.. i would suggest a
> >passport is not such a document btw.
> >
> >not thought a lot about this have you....
> >

> >"James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
> >> US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
> >> seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,
> >>
> >> 1. Ask for it.
> >> 2. Provide documentation they need it.

> >that

> >specify

take

for

(American

as

billyw

i think thats a fair comment..
maybe he was just feeling the need to feel important today..
shame really, cause he comes across as a ****

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you are just whacked
>
> "James Waite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
> >
> > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
> >
> > James

Dev Lunsford

The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about having
too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people get
extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it? he's
right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving it
to them.

-dev...