Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't open files in Word 2003

Can't open files in Word 2003

The-Wisest-One

I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.

Something tries to run a "virus scan" and then a help thing pops up
telling me

You may be encoutering this message because an anti-virus program is
not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
the virus it has found.
In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
software manufacturers have created updates to address known
compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
forms of viruses.
If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
available from the vendor.
If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
cannot remove the infection.
There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
available with the application (not all applications have file
recovery or repair capabilities).
For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article 835404.

How do I get around this abordo?

I Am A Man...and nothing human is alien to me.

The Earth is One Great Country, and humankind it's citizens.

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Join the worlds greatest no-spin discussion forum in Cyberspace.

Donald

Install a new anti-virus

"The-Wisest-One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
> to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.
>
> Something tries to run a "virus scan" and then a help thing pops up
> telling me
>
> You may be encoutering this message because an anti-virus program is
> not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
> conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
> a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
> the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
> the virus it has found.
> In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
> as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
> latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
> software manufacturers have created updates to address known
> compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
> provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
> Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
> forms of viruses.
> If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
> of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
> advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
> available from the vendor.
> If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
> version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
> date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
> likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
> cannot remove the infection.
> There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
> be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
> Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
> recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
> available with the application (not all applications have file
> recovery or repair capabilities).
> For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
> Base article 835404.
>

> How do I get around this abordo?
>

> I Am A Man...and nothing human is alien to me.
>
> The Earth is One Great Country, and humankind it's citizens.
>

> Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify
> the hunter
>
> Join the worlds greatest no-spin discussion forum in Cyberspace.

socrtwo@gmail.com

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling Word.

socrtwo

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling Word.

Margolotta

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:18:35 +0000, The-Wisest-One wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try

*HOW* did you remove it? Did you remove it properly (sounds not) or did you
just delete files willy-nilly? Suggest you reinstall it and uninstall it
properly (via the control panel).

Clarissa

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvlr$(E-Mail Removed)1ink.nut ...
Margolotta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> ...

> When companies ship styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

boxes.

Tony

"The-Wisest-One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
> to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.
>
> Something tries to run a "virus scan" and then a help thing pops up
> telling me
>
> You may be encoutering this message because an anti-virus program is
> not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
> conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
> a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
> the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
> the virus it has found.
> In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
> as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
> latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
> software manufacturers have created updates to address known
> compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
> provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
> Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
> forms of viruses.
> If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
> of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
> advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
> available from the vendor.
> If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
> version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
> date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
> likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
> cannot remove the infection.
> There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
> be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
> Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
> recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
> available with the application (not all applications have file
> recovery or repair capabilities).
> For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
> Base article 835404.
>

> How do I get around this abordo?

Dowmload and run the Norton Removal tool Rnav2003.exe from
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606 . Then
download and run Ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com, using the fix issues
option.

The-Wisest-One

I removed it Willy, Nilly, Billy, Gilly, and Lilly.

I solved the problem though.

I reformatted the hard drive yesterday.

I have been reloading stuff all day today and I should be back in
business by Thursday.

Thanks for the help.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:13:09 +0000, Margolotta
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:18:35 +0000, The-Wisest-One wrote
>(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try

>*HOW* did you remove it? Did you remove it properly (sounds not) or did you
>just delete files willy-nilly? Suggest you reinstall it and uninstall it
>properly (via the control panel).

I Am A Man...and nothing human is alien to me.

The Earth is One Great Country, and humankind it's citizens.

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Join the worlds greatest no-spin discussion forum in Cyberspace.

Plato

The-Wisest-One wrote:

> I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
> to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.

http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm
Try the 2004/2005 nortons removal thingamig on the above page.