Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disabling windows messenger

Disabling windows messenger

hammy_pwb

I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run,
but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone
please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

SJP

"hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
>have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
>me so i can do it again .please TIA

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Chadwick Stone©

hammy_pwb [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)

> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

How did you learn how to do it before?

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

hammy_pwb

Chadwick Stone© wrote:
> hammy_pwb [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
> y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)
>

>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA
>>

> How did you learn how to do it before?

I was told by someone who has recently moved abroad from me

james

In run box paste

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Jim

james wrote:
> In run box paste
>
> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
>
> Jim
>
> "hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
>> have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
>> me so i can do it again .please TIA

thanks

Bob

"hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
>have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
>me so i can do it again .please TIA

start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab or
just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab... general.... then
untick the startup items. The msconfig method is best...!!
Bob

Toolman Tim

In news:FfHMf.70788$(E-Mail Removed),
Bob spewed forth:
> "hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
> or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
> best...!! Bob

No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.

You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
hood, do you?

Bob

newsnIMf.1141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:FfHMf.70788$(E-Mail Removed),
> Bob spewed forth:
>> "hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

>> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
>> or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
>> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
>> best...!! Bob

> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
> temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.
>
> You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
> hood, do you?

I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in the
startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but if she had
wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could have been done in
the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the method she wanted to use as
last time she said she used the 'run' box.

> --
> The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Toolman Tim

In news:nTIMf.57147$(E-Mail Removed),
Bob spewed forth:
> newsnIMf.1141$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:FfHMf.70788$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Bob spewed forth:
>>> "hammy_pwb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:y0AMf.52556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up
>>> tab or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
>>> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
>>> best...!! Bob

>> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things
>> on a temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is
>> booted. You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench
>> under
>> the hood, do you?

> I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in
> the startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but
> if she had wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could
> have been done in the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the
> method she wanted to use as last time she said she used the 'run' box.

Correct. It won't load that program. But why load msconfig over and over and
over and over and over and over...get the idea? Disable the program
correctly. Don't leave msconfig running every time the computer restarts.
That is NOT what it is made for. It leaves temporary changes in the registry
just waiting for something to go wrong.