Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > nVidia or Radeon video card?

nVidia or Radeon video card?

Kenny

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3 chipset. Would like to
upgrade video card from present Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony
Mini DV camcorder and don't now need the analogue capture.
Question is if I have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia card
or does it matter?
I have been looking at these two:
and
which are around the price I'm willing to pay but can't decide.
Gaming isn't terribly important although I did try to run Chronicles of
Narnia recently and the system test this game runs told me that it failed on
video acceleration or something similar.
Will a better video card improve overall PC performance/speed, especially in
digital video editing?
As well as the K8NSC m/b I'm using Athlon64/3200 and 1GB PC3200, (2 x 512MB
in dual channnel).

--
Kenny Cargill

FingAZ

Kenny wrote:
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3 chipset. Would like to
> upgrade video card from present Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony
> Mini DV camcorder and don't now need the analogue capture.
> Question is if I have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia card
> or does it matter?
> I have been looking at these two:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
> and
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564

<snip>
> --
> Kenny Cargill

To summarise, the 6600 blows a 9600 out of the water; however, i do not
recommend buy coomputer parts from amazon; considering you are using
amazon.co.uk, im guessing you're shopping within the UK, try
www.cclonline.com or scan.co.uk for better options and price.

Remember to get an AGP card; many people forget this; im just reminding
you

Although im not sure how good they are, CCL are currently offering a
6500 for around 40; i recommend reading reviews before buying any
card; just google for it.

My preferance is for nVidia cards; others prefer ATI's- its a personal
choice, but i believe that nVidia is better quality to price ratio
around the mid-range GFX cards.

Hope this helps,
Darren.

john

whatever you do, get one that will be vista compatible (meaning that it will
be able to render all the tranparencies).

Some say that nvida are better....and it does have better software-drivers.

I have a dual headed ati 9000 working great on this computer,
but this is of course an old model.

Also look into a dual head ... I am using 2 monitors now and have
an extended desktop. After using this setup you will never want to go back
into using only one monitor!

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,

news:dtsc1d$c09$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3 chipset. Would like
> upgrade video card from present Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony
> Mini DV camcorder and don't now need the analogue capture.
> Question is if I have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia card
> or does it matter?
> I have been looking at these two:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
> and
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
> which are around the price I'm willing to pay but can't decide.
> Gaming isn't terribly important although I did try to run Chronicles of
> Narnia recently and the system test this game runs told me that it failed
> on
> video acceleration or something similar.
> Will a better video card improve overall PC performance/speed, especially
> in
> digital video editing?
> As well as the K8NSC m/b I'm using Athlon64/3200 and 1GB PC3200, (2 x
> 512MB
> in dual channnel).
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill

john

also take a look at this page

Check out www.zacknet.co.uk/vistabase and click on Graphics, then "Device
Drivers" - there are two options there from Nvidia and ATI - have a look and
see if your card is on there. It's updating all the time, so check the
source links on there as well )

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,
please put me on your ignore list or dont read my posts.

news:dtsc1d$c09$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3 chipset. Would like
> upgrade video card from present Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony
> Mini DV camcorder and don't now need the analogue capture.
> Question is if I have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia card
> or does it matter?
> I have been looking at these two:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
> and
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
> which are around the price I'm willing to pay but can't decide.
> Gaming isn't terribly important although I did try to run Chronicles of
> Narnia recently and the system test this game runs told me that it failed
> on
> video acceleration or something similar.
> Will a better video card improve overall PC performance/speed, especially
> in
> digital video editing?
> As well as the K8NSC m/b I'm using Athlon64/3200 and 1GB PC3200, (2 x
> 512MB
> in dual channnel).
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill

Kenny

Thanks for the replies.
Looking at Amazon since I already have an a/c with them and their p&p is
free.
I also have an a/c with Ebuyer and have bought large items there but they
charge 20 p&p even for a small item which I feel is exorbitant.
Am definitely leaning towards the GeForce 6600, won't be using the DVI Out
at present but a TFT monitor is next on my list.

--
Kenny Cargill

"john" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> also take a look at this page
>
> Check out www.zacknet.co.uk/vistabase and click on Graphics, then "Device
> Drivers" - there are two options there from Nvidia and ATI - have a look
> and
> see if your card is on there. It's updating all the time, so check the
> source links on there as well )
>

> --
> Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
> If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,
> please put me on your ignore list or dont read my posts.
>
> --
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dtsc1d$c09$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3 chipset. Would like
>> upgrade video card from present Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony
>> Mini DV camcorder and don't now need the analogue capture.
>> Question is if I have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia
>> card
>> or does it matter?
>> I have been looking at these two:
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
>> and
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...519236-6021564
>> which are around the price I'm willing to pay but can't decide.
>> Gaming isn't terribly important although I did try to run Chronicles of
>> Narnia recently and the system test this game runs told me that it failed
>> on
>> video acceleration or something similar.
>> Will a better video card improve overall PC performance/speed, especially
>> in
>> digital video editing?
>> As well as the K8NSC m/b I'm using Athlon64/3200 and 1GB PC3200, (2 x
>> 512MB
>> in dual channnel).
>>
>> --
>> Kenny Cargill

All Things Mopar

Today Kenny commented courteously on the subject at hand

> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b which has nForce3
> chipset. Would like to upgrade video card from present
> Matrox G450eTV since I have bought a Sony Mini DV camcorder
> and don't now need the analogue capture. Question is if I
> have an nVidia chipset is it better to get an nVidia card
> or does it matter?

After hangs and crashes on some utilities on my old PC with a
nVidia Geforce card, I went with an ATI Radeon for my new PC.
I am quite pleased with it.

nVidia and ATI are the only two people left, I think, that
make everything. Within budget and specs, if you've not had
bad experiences personally nor known anyone with baddies, I
don't think you can go wrong with what you're contemplating.

> I have been looking at these two:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...W5L8M/qid=1140
> 955639/sr=8-3/ref=pd_ka_3/203-2519236-6021564 and
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...95WDO/qid=1140
> 955639/sr=8-5/ref=pd_ka_5/203-2519236-6021564 which are
> around the price I'm willing to pay but can't decide.
> Gaming isn't terribly important although I did try to run
> Chronicles of Narnia recently and the system test this game
> runs told me that it failed on video acceleration or
> something similar. Will a better video card improve overall
> PC performance/speed, especially in digital video editing?
> As well as the K8NSC m/b I'm using Athlon64/3200 and 1GB
> PC3200, (2 x 512MB in dual channnel).

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." Henry
Ford

doS

was it that 426 hemi processor?