Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys USB Wireless Adapter WUSB54GC Installed GTGina.dll

Linksys USB Wireless Adapter WUSB54GC Installed GTGina.dll

James

Last week I installed a new USB wirelss adapter, WUSG54GC, made by
Linksys.

When my WUSB54GC was installed there was a file added--GTGINA.DLL--and
changes made to the registry for that file. It apparently changed the
way my logon (XP Home) works. My logon used to go directly to the
desktop as I am both the only user and admin. Now it goes to the
login screen asking for the login name and password. When I
uninstalled the software, it went back to normal. When I reinstalled
the software the same thing happened.

This is not a serous problem only an annoyance. As far as I can tell,
everything else runs normally and the wireless adapter works well.

The only answer from Linksys so far is that it is no problem. I
couldn't find anything on it in Google.

The registry locationfor GTGina.dll is
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon

My questions: (1) Does anyone know what is the function of
GTGina.dll?
(2) Is GTGina.dll necessary for using the USB adapter?
(3) Can I delete the file and/or remove it from the registry?

I don't want to delete the registry entry or the file until I am sure
I know the effects.

Thanks.

James

Meat Plow

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 +0000, James wrote:

> Subject: Linksys USB Wireless Adapter WUSB54GC Installed GTGina.dll
> From: James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 GMT
>
> Last week I installed a new USB wirelss adapter, WUSG54GC, made by
> Linksys.

Just installed one today. After installing the drivers and XP detecting
and configuring it to use with Windows Wireless config, I aborted the rest
of the installation(Linksys Wireless config utility). XP does a fine job
on its own with this adapter.

James

What I found was that the software installation change the
DefaultUserName logon from my name to Administrator. When I changed
it back then I am able to start up and go directly to the desktop.

I found that in the registry entry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon

Weird. Linksys says they don't know anything about it.

James

wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 +0000, James wrote:
>
>> Subject: Linksys USB Wireless Adapter WUSB54GC Installed GTGina.dll
>> From: James <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 GMT
>>
>> Last week I installed a new USB wirelss adapter, WUSG54GC, made by
>> Linksys.

>Just installed one today. After installing the drivers and XP detecting
>and configuring it to use with Windows Wireless config, I aborted the rest
>of the installation(Linksys Wireless config utility). XP does a fine job
>on its own with this adapter.

imacutiepie@gmail.com

I have that same problem with the GtGina file. Did you ever get your
questions answered? I believe my user name is still my name..are you
referring to your Windows logon username or to do with your internet
connection?

James wrote:

> What I found was that the software installation change the
> DefaultUserName logon from my name to Administrator. When I changed
> it back then I am able to start up and go directly to the desktop.
>
> I found that in the registry entry
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon
>
> Weird. Linksys says they don't know anything about it.
>
> James
>
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0500, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 +0000, James wrote:
> >
> >> Subject: Linksys USB Wireless Adapter WUSB54GC Installed GTGina.dll
> >> From: James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> >> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:04:43 GMT
> >>
> >> Last week I installed a new USB wirelss adapter, WUSG54GC, made by
> >> Linksys.

> >Just installed one today. After installing the drivers and XP detecting
> >and configuring it to use with Windows Wireless config, I aborted the rest
> >of the installation(Linksys Wireless config utility). XP does a fine job
> >on its own with this adapter.

a747drvr

> I have that same problem with the GtGina file. Did you ever get your
> questions answered? I believe my user name is still my name..are you
> referring to your Windows logon username or to do with your internet
> connection?
>

> James wrote:
>
> > What I found was that the software installation change the
> > DefaultUserName logon from my name to Administrator. When I changed
> > it back then I am able to start up and go directly to the desktop.
> >
> > I found that in the registry entry
> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon
> >
> > Weird. Linksys says they don't know anything about it.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0500, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >Just installed one today. After installing the drivers and XP detecting
> > >and configuring it to use with Windows Wireless config, I aborted the rest
> > >of the installation(Linksys Wireless config utility). XP does a fine job
> > >on its own with this adapter.

a747drvr

I have the same problem with GTGina.dll affecting the Windows Logon. I
will attempt to contact Linksys for a solution and will post the result
if there is one. Ridiculous!
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have that same problem with the GtGina file. Did you ever get your
> questions answered? I believe my user name is still my name..are you
> referring to your Windows logon username or to do with your internet
> connection?
>

> James wrote:
>
> > What I found was that the software installation change the
> > DefaultUserName logon from my name to Administrator. When I changed
> > it back then I am able to start up and go directly to the desktop.
> >
> > I found that in the registry entry
> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon
> >
> > Weird. Linksys says they don't know anything about it.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0500, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >Just installed one today. After installing the drivers and XP detecting
> > >and configuring it to use with Windows Wireless config, I aborted the rest
> > >of the installation(Linksys Wireless config utility). XP does a fine job
> > >on its own with this adapter.

doubleamartinez@sbcglobal.net

I just got a Linksys wireless adapter - same problem and everything
with GTGina.dll. I was worried at first because as I checked some info
on the file I saw that it was created by Gemtek and I don't have any
Gemtek products - but I guess the adapter may use a Gemtek piece or
something.

Do we have any updated news on the problem with the login. Hopefully
Linksys will provide a patch or update to fix the problem/annoyance.

I will check back frequently - I hope to learn something new.

a747drvr wrote:
> I have the same problem with GTGina.dll affecting the Windows Logon. I
> will attempt to contact Linksys for a solution and will post the result
> if there is one. Ridiculous!
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have that same problem with the GtGina file. Did you ever get your
> > questions answered? I believe my user name is still my name..are you
> > referring to your Windows logon username or to do with your internet
> > connection?
> >

> > James wrote:
> >
> > > What I found was that the software installation change the
> > > DefaultUserName logon from my name to Administrator. When I changed
> > > it back then I am able to start up and go directly to the desktop.
> > >
> > > I found that in the registry entry
> > > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon
> > >
> > > Weird. Linksys says they don't know anything about it.
> > >
> > > James

rodmcd2

I just purchased and installed the linksys usb wirless adapter and it
works fine but I have a problem with the Gtgina.dll file. The file
prevents me from switching between users without logging off on my
pc. This was a great feature for me. I don't know what to do. I
unistalled the usb adapter, however the gtgina.dll file is still on
my pc and in my registry(by the way, the adapter still works fine).
Not sure what to do about this one. I guess I'll try to call lynksis
also and I'll post what I find out. This sucks!!!

DocDEH

I checked with Linksys online support today. The answer was to download
driver version 1.0.2.0 from the Linksys website, then to "uninstall
everything," reboot, install the new driver, then plug in the device.
But DO NOT do what I did. I renamed GTGina.dll thinking then the
computer would bypass it. It doesn't. I refuses to start up Windows at
all without that in place. I could not even get to Safe Mode and am now
doing a complete system restore. I like Linksys products and paid more
for this Linksys adapter than I would have for a D-Link because I have
had great experience with Linksys before. But this GTGina business is a
scary one.