Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win explorer keeps crashing

Win explorer keeps crashing

SmokeyJose

I recently reinstalled winXP home and soon noted that windows explorer
crashes several times each day. And I haven't noticed anything in
particular that sets it off. It's a bit of a bother as I sit and wait
until it reloads itself after the usual popup about notifieing
Microsoft.

Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
disease?

Trax

"SmokeyJose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I recently reinstalled winXP home and soon noted that windows explorer
|>crashes several times each day. And I haven't noticed anything in
|>particular that sets it off. It's a bit of a bother as I sit and wait
|>until it reloads itself after the usual popup about notarizing
|>Microsoft.
|>
|>Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
|>disease?

Can't suggest a fix but going to:
Right click "My Computer", Properties, Advanced, Startup... settings.

unselecting auto restart; will keep you from rebooting.

You also generate a huge file each time you crash, this can be turn'd
off by:
Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32 <enter>

You can also turn off the popup (Visual notification)
While there look in the applications area could give a clue to your
problems.

--
http://cognitivelabs.com/games_findingbeltazar.htm

old jon

"SmokeyJose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently reinstalled winXP home and soon noted that windows explorer
> crashes several times each day. And I haven't noticed anything in
> particular that sets it off. It's a bit of a bother as I sit and wait
> until it reloads itself after the usual popup about notifieing
> Microsoft.
>
> Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
> disease?

Time to have a look in your Event Viewer to see if you have
errors that you can investigate.

--
bw..OJ

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

SmokeyJose wrote:

> I recently reinstalled winXP home

Why?

[I'm running Windows 2000 Pro for seven years now on my old PIII, and it
has never been "reinstalled."]

> and soon noted that windows explorer crashes several times each day.

Windows Explorer? Or Internet Explorer? Big difference.

> And I haven't noticed anything in particular that sets it off. It's a
> bit of a bother as I sit and wait until it reloads itself after the
> usual popup about notifieing Microsoft.
>
> Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
> disease?

When was the last time you ran a deep scan with anti-virus, anti-adware,
anti-trojan programs?

Do you have a firewall?

--
-bts