Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

Glenn D. Crosse

I was pleased with the exam cram books in conjunction with the MCSE training
books.
Both are equivalent but reading both was very useful.
Don't even think about not doing every lab suggested. They are critical.
Glenn
"Erik Molstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nD3ab.7888$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Kendal and Glen,
> I don't want to be a paper MCSE. Wasn't trying to scare anybody.
>
> I can say though that I read Mike Meyer's A+ All In One Guide cover to
> cover, took the tests, got very high scores and have the A+ title. The
> knowledge I have goes way beyond what the A+ cert implies to employers.

The
> knowledge someone would have after reading 1000 pages on 2000 Server, in

my
> opinion is far beyond the level of knowledge tested to gain MCP status.
> Yes I do have job experience, and college training.
>
> MCSE for Dummies is not what I'm looking for. If that's the only other
> option (which I don't think it is) I'll stick with the Thomson books.
>

> "Glenn D. Crosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was going to suggest "MCSE for Dummies".
> > I believe it is still in print and can be found on Amazon.
> > Glenn
> > "Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > technical
> > >
> > > Does that scare anybody else????
> > >
> > > Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
> > > Systems Administrator
> > > Coordinated Home Care
> > > http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> > > remove me to email to me

Erik Molstad

To all,

I did not say I wanted an "easy read" or that I didn't want technical
information.

Yeah, I know. Hard work, and technical knowledge for an MCSE. Gee who'd
have thought?
I suggest that people should not twist people's words around here. I was
only looking for a book that stuck to the exam's objectives. I'm taking
coursework and I have job experience to back up what I read in these books
so I don't get certification papers that future employers or clients will
want to wipe their arses with.

I just got back from the bookstore where I researched all the options for
myself.
Next time, I'll remember to do only that instead of asking about certain
books here.

With apologies for the bluntness.

"noone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061901c37d60$3c34c6d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> let's see now....a study guide for MCSE that is not too
> heavy on the technical stuff and an easy read; these
> items go together the same way as Microsoft "Works".
> I've been an MCSE for 6 yrs (NT & 2000) and have yet to
> find an effective book that has less than about 1800
> pages of not to easy reading and is crammed full of
> technical stuff and labs and questions. I dunno, but
> seems to me that if you want to be an MCSE, you're gonna
> have to weed your way through all that techno stuff and
> get in to some pretty serious heavy reading...not to
> mention setting up a home client/server network and
> WORKING with the product. If it were as easy as you want
> it to be, there'd be 100 million MCSE's in the world. As
> it is, we are glutted with too many who have found that
> easy non-technical read...but they can't function in the
> real world! With apologies for the bluntness....dig in
> and do it right!

New Offering from Microsoft and Thomson Prometric: 2-for-1 MCP Exa anti-nonsense MCSA 2 03-14-2005 04:11 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Should i go for upgrade from MCSE 2000 to MCSE Windows Server 2003 CHY. QAMRUL HUDA MCSE 4 10-11-2003 11:56 AM

Advertisments