Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need Help Booting a Windows XP disc

Need Help Booting a Windows XP disc

michaeltheller@gmail.com

I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 disc, but for some reason my computer
doesn't recognize it at startup, so I can't boot from it to do a clean
install. I have the bios boot order set as Floppy, CD, HDD, and I see
when the computer checks the disc drives, but I never get the "Press
any key to boot from disc" option.

I've got an Abit KV-7 mobo, and a Memorex CD-RW. Currently running XP
Pro, but IE got corrupted when I tried to install IE7 beta 2 ( I really
should have known better.) I still have the ISO for XP, if there is
something I can do to that and then reburn the disc.

Anyone have any ideas?

michaeltheller@gmail.com

I should clarify: the corruption of IE not only makes IE fail, but
System Restore as well. I can't uninstall or reinstall IE either
because the system won't let me. I'm having a number of problems, and
basically the easiest thing would be to to a clean install of Windows.
Of course, to do that, I need a bootable XP disc, which is the real
problem.

old jon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 disc, but for some reason my computer
> doesn't recognize it at startup, so I can't boot from it to do a clean
> install. I have the bios boot order set as Floppy, CD, HDD, and I see
> when the computer checks the disc drives, but I never get the "Press
> any key to boot from disc" option.

snip

Make your CD the First bootable device in the BIOS.

Ron Martell

>I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 disc, but for some reason my computer
>doesn't recognize it at startup, so I can't boot from it to do a clean
>install. I have the bios boot order set as Floppy, CD, HDD, and I see
>when the computer checks the disc drives, but I never get the "Press
>any key to boot from disc" option.
>
>I've got an Abit KV-7 mobo, and a Memorex CD-RW. Currently running XP
>Pro, but IE got corrupted when I tried to install IE7 beta 2 ( I really
>should have known better.) I still have the ISO for XP, if there is
>something I can do to that and then reburn the disc.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

1. Test the CD in another computer and see if that machine recognizes
it as bootable.

2. Temporarily disconnect the hard drive and then see what happens
when you try to boot.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--