Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Double booting WinXP and Win2000

Double booting WinXP and Win2000

elaich

I just bought a computer from a kid across the street. Nice Compaq, 2
GHz, well equipped, with Win XP.

Now I don't like XP, and I didn't get the kid's password anyway, so I
installed my other large hard drive as a slave, with all my archived
files on it, and installed Win2000 on the first partition on that drive.
Install went just fine, and I was running Win2000 at lightning speed.

Only now, I couldn't boot to WinXP. Even when selecting WinXP in the boot
menu, the machine tried to boot to Win2000 and gave me error reports
about missing files. I tried to edit boot.ini, and ended up with a
machine that could not boot in any fashion. Boot.ini looked correct, but
the machine could not boot.

I used the Compaq System Recovery feature to restore XP, and the second
disk is now installed as a storage disk only. It wasn't in the machine
when I ran System Recovery. Win2000 is installed in that disk's first
partition. I've whittled down XP and all it's bloat into some kind of
usable, recognizable form, but I still don't like it. I want my W2K.

Question: if I edit boot.ini again to add the W2K boot option, will it
allow me to dual boot without jumping through any more hoops? W2K is in
the first partition on disk 1. It is correctly configured to run on this
machine. I would add this to boot.ini:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

Or, if I run the System Recovery again with the second disk installed,
will XP correctly find W2K and write boot.ini correctly so I can boot
into either OS?

I wouldn't even care about WinXP, except it can play DVDs, and W2K seems
to be receding into the distance as far as drivers, apps, and updates are
concerned.

Here is what boot.ini looks like at this point:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

What effect would adding:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

have on the process? What's the deal with /fastdetect?

At that point, boot.ini would look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Will this work?

Rich

elaich wrote:
> I just bought a computer from a kid across the street. Nice Compaq, 2
> GHz, well equipped, with Win XP.
>
> Now I don't like XP, and I didn't get the kid's password anyway, so I
> installed my other large hard drive as a slave, with all my archived
> files on it, and installed Win2000 on the first partition on that drive.
> Install went just fine, and I was running Win2000 at lightning speed.
>
> Only now, I couldn't boot to WinXP. Even when selecting WinXP in the boot
> menu, the machine tried to boot to Win2000 and gave me error reports
> about missing files. I tried to edit boot.ini, and ended up with a
> machine that could not boot in any fashion. Boot.ini looked correct, but
> the machine could not boot.
>
> I used the Compaq System Recovery feature to restore XP, and the second
> disk is now installed as a storage disk only. It wasn't in the machine
> when I ran System Recovery. Win2000 is installed in that disk's first
> partition. I've whittled down XP and all it's bloat into some kind of
> usable, recognizable form, but I still don't like it. I want my W2K.
>
> Question: if I edit boot.ini again to add the W2K boot option, will it
> allow me to dual boot without jumping through any more hoops? W2K is in
> the first partition on disk 1. It is correctly configured to run on this
> machine. I would add this to boot.ini:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> Or, if I run the System Recovery again with the second disk installed,
> will XP correctly find W2K and write boot.ini correctly so I can boot
> into either OS?
>
> I wouldn't even care about WinXP, except it can play DVDs, and W2K seems
> to be receding into the distance as far as drivers, apps, and updates are
> concerned.
>
> Here is what boot.ini looks like at this point:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=3
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
>
> What effect would adding:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> have on the process? What's the deal with /fastdetect?
>
> At that point, boot.ini would look like this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=3
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
>
> Will this work?

Microsoft calls this "Multibooting":

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...multiboot.mspx

They instruct to have one OS per partition. According to Microsoft you
cannot have two versions of Windows (such as 2000 and XP) on the same
partition and select which one you want to boot on startup. You will
need to separate them accordingly by partition and then you can do it.

Microsoft also has specific instructions on how to install Windows 2000
*after* Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug91.mspx

...and it states you have to repair the Windows XP Boot loader, which may
solve your problem. Instructions are there on how to do it.

--
In Maine we call it "Mozillah Thundahbird.. yessah!".