Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Saving the CD Rom

Saving the CD Rom

carol

I want to save work to my CD rom drive.

What CD rom do I require.

Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

old jon

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
>
> What CD rom do I require.
>
> Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
device you would need to write CDs.
Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
--
bw..OJ

carol

I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
same as you record music on do,

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bg0Lf.12930$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
> >
> > What CD rom do I require.
> >
> > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.
> >

> Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
> It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
> device you would need to write CDs.
> Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
> You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
> --
> bw..OJ

Donald

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
>
> What CD rom do I require.
>
> Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

Yes. don't use a DVD due to the fact that you may need to read the disk on
another pc that doesn't read DVD disk

old jon

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vk0Lf.33238$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
> I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd
> the
> same as you record music on do,
>
> "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Bg0Lf.12930$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
>> >
>> > What CD rom do I require.
>> >
>> > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.
>> >

>> Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
>> It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
>> device you would need to write CDs.
>> Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
>> You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
>> --
>> bw..OJ

sorry Carol I misunderstood you.
Audio CD blanks are normally more expensive than the ones
that most people use.
You have 2 options standard good quality CD, or CD-RW.
It depends what software you have tho`.
Some use the Windows software, but I use proprietry software.
With CD-RW you have to preformat the disc, and use it like a
big floppy disc. ie. with Roxio or Nero software.They are erasible
and can be used again, if\when you want to update the contents.
CDs you write to them once and that`s it.

--
bw..OJ

Mitch

In article <vk0Lf.33238$(E-Mail Removed)>, carol
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
> I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
> same as you record music on do,

Yes, if that's all you need to record.
You'll see a note on the CD blank specifying both the amount of audio
TIME it would store, and the amount of DATA in megabytes.

Cub

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
>
> What CD rom do I require.
>
> Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

If you have a USB port, get a pen drive.. they are a lot quicker

Regards

Toolman Tim

In news:sY0Lf.43014$(E-Mail Removed),
old jon spewed forth:
> "carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vk0Lf.33238$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
>> I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80
>> cd the
>> same as you record music on do,
>>
>> "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Bg0Lf.12930$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:N70Lf.44441$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
>>> It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
>>> device you would need to write CDs.
>>> Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
>>> You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
>>> --
>>> bw..OJ
>>>

> sorry Carol I misunderstood you.
> Audio CD blanks are normally more expensive than the ones
> that most people use.
> You have 2 options standard good quality CD, or CD-RW.
> It depends what software you have tho`.
> Some use the Windows software, but I use proprietry software.
> With CD-RW you have to preformat the disc, and use it like a
> big floppy disc. ie. with Roxio or Nero software.They are erasible
> and can be used again, if\when you want to update the contents.
> CDs you write to them once and that`s it.

Specifically, for the ability to use a CD or DVD in the same was as a floppy
disk, she needs UDF packet writing software. Roxio, Sonic, Nero, NTI, all
the major CD burner software companies do the UDF software. UDF software may
also be available as freeware.

I've done this in the past, and found it to be unreliable at times. I'd
strongly suggest saving the file to two different places - a hard drive copy
and the CD, or a pen drive and a CD, etc. to be sure no data gets lost with
a bad burn. Or not using the UDF software, but saving to hard drive and
burning to CD in the more traditional manner.

Plato

carol wrote:

> I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
> What CD rom do I require.
> Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

I believe the write once CDs are better for long term storage of data as
oppossed to the rewritables.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ron Martell

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
>I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
>same as you record music on do,

Yes,

Just use the "create a data CD" or equivalent option in your CD/DVD
burning software.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--