Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Timeout and Network Neighborhood question

Network Timeout and Network Neighborhood question

Lowly Engineer

I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
not.

When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
added to the Network Neighborhood screen.

If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
a problem.

What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
Neighborhood group?

TIA

why?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:58:46 -0800, Lowly Engineer wrote:

>I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
>not.

That's nice, it matters what OS not?

Actually it does, keep the PC with the newest ver on Win on 24/7 or turn
it on first.

>When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
>added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
>
>If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
>long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If

None of my watches or clocks measure time in units of 'very long time'.

>I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times
>
>Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
>doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
>fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
>a problem.

What's the GigE have to do with anything?

>What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
>Neighborhood group?

That's a big story, try searching for -

NetBIOS , Network Neighborhood , Browse List , Browse Service.

Lots of URLs often posted for homenetworking sites, search

Me

Jimmy Dean

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
>not.

Specify OS and network protocol.

>When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
>added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
>
>If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
>long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
>I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

How long in minutes?

>Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
>doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
>fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
>a problem.
>
>What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
>Neighborhood group?
>
>TIA

jd

Lowly Engineer

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:33:23 +1100, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:58:46 -0800, Lowly Engineer
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
>>not.

>Specify OS and network protocol.

XP Pro - completely updated tcp/ip

>>When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
>>added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
>>
>>If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
>>long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
>>I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

>How long in minutes?

About 45 seconds.

>>Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
>>doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
>>fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
>>a problem.
>>
>>What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
>>Neighborhood group?
>>
>>TIA

>jd

Lowly Engineer

I should also state that all network addresses are static.
If all machines are turned ON, then "Network Neighborhood"
comes up instantly. Only when one or more computers are
turned OFF do I get the delay.