Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lycos email triggering bcc error

Lycos email triggering bcc error

cacoggins@gmail.com

I'm using my lycos.com email account to contact the listowner of a
yahoogroups listserv, and the yahoo servers are kicking it back with a
bcc error, even though I'm not using any bcc's:

>>>554 this message violates our delivery policy which disallows Bcc's to list owners (#5.7.1) (in reply to end of DATA command)<<<

Anybody know why Lycos email triggers this error? Are there bcc's
occuring through Lycos that I'm not aware of (none are showing up on
the headers of my "sent" emails)?

Plato

Try sending with a standard pop account.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm using my lycos.com email account to contact the listowner of a
> yahoogroups listserv, and the yahoo servers are kicking it back with a
> bcc error, even though I'm not using any bcc's:

Neither of those error codes are actually 'bcc' error codes.

The 554 in generic terms just means that the transaction failed, and the
5.7.1 just means delivery not authorized, message refused.

The words which are attached to the codes about bcc-ness may be, or
apparently are, 'errant' error words.

> Anybody know why Lycos email triggers this error? Are there bcc's
> occuring through Lycos that I'm not aware of (none are showing up on
> the headers of my "sent" emails)?

If you were /actually/ going to work on this problem rather than simply
get around it by using a different email server to send....

You would have to have the admins of the yahoo server address the issue.
Normally one way to obtain a useful set of message headers for a server
admin to examine hir logs would be to CC the message to both the
listowner and to one of your own mail accounts, being sure that your
clock settings are properly NIST time set. That one that you copy to
yourself and receive will be useful to the yahoo server admins. That
way you are able to say "This is the message with complete headers which
was sent and which bounced with these error codes."

But I can't see the yahoo server admins being very inspired to work on
their logs to figure out that problem. You might email them to notify
of your experience, including the complete headers of the copy of the
failed message, but if it isn't 'persistent' or affecting more people
than just you, they aren't going to consider it worth investigating.

--
Mike Easter

Can No Longer look up music clips on Lycos!! ChrisCoaster Computer Information 1 08-22-2007 09:06 PM
Lycos Email HP Computer Support 1 07-21-2004 06:49 AM
Email Cc & Bcc Matthew Computer Support 8 11-20-2003 10:00 PM
Lycos Account gorjan.online Computer Support 3 09-24-2003 01:00 AM
Lycos.co.uk Mail got a problem? rifleman Computer Support 0 07-29-2003 06:59 AM

Advertisments