Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I bought a cheap trackball mouse at Staples

I bought a cheap trackball mouse at Staples

makebusy7

and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.

the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.

this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
faster.

i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.

is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
moving car on the highway if need be.

also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
appreciated.

oh this mouse is plugged in via usb

tia

make busy 7 @cimca$t.not

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

makebusy7 wrote:
> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
> lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
>
> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
> a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
> buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
> to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
>
> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
> and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
>
> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
> faster.
>
> i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
>
> is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
> mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
> moving car on the highway if need be.
>
> also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
> appreciated.
>
> oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
>
> tia

Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
there thicker than you?

makebusy7

Because there is a newsgroup dedicated to helping the helpless, that is why

Brian H wrote:
> makebusy7 wrote:
>> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is
>> a lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
>>
>> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld
>> with a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also
>> has two buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are
>> currently set to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
>>
>> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and
>> roll and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
>>
>> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
>> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it
>> go faster.
>>
>> i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
>>
>> is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
>> mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
>> moving car on the highway if need be.
>>
>> also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
>> appreciated.
>>
>> oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
>>
>> tia
>>

> Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
> there thicker than you?

why?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:36:46 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:

>Because there is a newsgroup dedicated to helping the helpless, that is why

When did that happen?

>Brian H wrote:
> > makebusy7 wrote:
> >> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is
> >> a lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

<snip>

> > Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
> > there thicker than you?

Me

JP

"makebusy7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
> lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
>
> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with a
> ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
> buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set to
> 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
>
> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
> and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
>
> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
> faster.

the speed setting in mouse settings in control panel should make some
difference, I'm surprised if it hasn't.
there should be a setting next to the speed slider with something like
'enhance precision'. It makes the pointer move very slow when you move it a
bit, and is probably best disabled.

-JP

John Holmes

makebusy7 blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
> lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
>
> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld

with
> a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
> buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
> to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
>
> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and

roll
> and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
>
> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
> faster.
>
> i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
>
> is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
> mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
> moving car on the highway if need be.

If I would be behind you, riding my bike, when you do, I'd follow till
you have to stop and break your ****ing face.

--
Your mother was a fly-covered taxi-driver who had her warts removed in
caves.

makebusy7

John Holmes wrote:
> makebusy7 blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
>> lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
>>
>> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld

> with
>> a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
>> buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
>> to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
>>
>> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and

> roll
>> and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
>>
>> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
>> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
>> faster.
>>
>> i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
>>
>> is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
>> mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
>> moving car on the highway if need be.

> If I would be behind you, riding my bike, when you do, I'd follow till
> you have to stop and break your ****ing face.
>
>> also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
>> appreciated.
>>
>> oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
>>
>> tia

>> make busy 7 @cimca$t.not

you guys are so meantome! Oh except for the ONE who told me about
the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
message

so anyways keep 'em coming

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:
>
>> you guys are so meantome! Oh except for the ONE who told me
>> about the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my

For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is now
only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra programmable
features are well worth it.

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:

> you guys are so meantome! Oh except for the ONE who told me about
> the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
> message
>
> so anyways keep 'em coming

Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't the
cheapest Brand-X POS in the store.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net, Blinky
> the Shark spewed forth:
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:
>>
>>> you guys are so meantome! Oh except for the ONE who told me about
>>> the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
>>> message
>>>
>>> so anyways keep 'em coming

>> Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't
>> the cheapest Brand-X POS in the store.

> For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is
> now only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra
> programmable features are well worth it.

I haven't bought anything but Logitech for many years.

Now, keyboards...that's different. I hate cleaning keyboards, so I buy
$5-$8 units and pitch them after they've picked up X amount of soup
splashes and hairballs. I have have two on the shelf that haven't
been opened.