Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Leica survey equipment

Leica survey equipment

Budweiser

Anyone out there use this kit?
Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the memory
card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see the
cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a config
in geo office.
I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?

thanks in advance folks
Budweiser

Toolman Tim

In news:e7PJf.31808$(E-Mail Removed),
Budweiser spewed forth:
> Anyone out there use this kit?
> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the memory
> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
> the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a
> config in geo office.
> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
>
> thanks in advance folks
> Budweiser

Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and diagnostics
software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of hardware such as a
modem or serial printer and test the hardware with that. Once you know the
PC hardware is okay, you can start messing around with software.

Budweiser

news:VdPJf.3691$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:e7PJf.31808$(E-Mail Removed),
> Budweiser spewed forth:
>> Anyone out there use this kit?
>> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
>> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
>> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
>> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
>> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the
>> memory
>> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
>> the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a
>> config in geo office.
>> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
>> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
>> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
>>
>> thanks in advance folks
>> Budweiser

> Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and
> diagnostics software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of
> hardware such as a modem or serial printer and test the hardware with
> that. Once you know the PC hardware is okay, you can start messing
> around with software.
>
> --
> If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Port works on the pc--found an old mouse festering in the
cupboard--worked fine--well it worked.
So on that assumption the serial port is functional,which leaves the
cable /the port on the instrument or the software at fault.
Is there a way to directly address the serial port under XP to see if
the instrument is trying to talk to the pc or vice versa?
To resolve a software problem is a minefield ,as the leica software for
the instrunent (the way i have it setup) is embedded with AutoCad, any
changes would , or could ,disrupt other survey data colection.------That
would be bad---bad as a bad thing on one of satans own bad spawn,on a
really bad day.I maried a Canadian,i have suffered enough.
I think the best bet is to aquire a all in one memory card reader short
term,and then get the rep out to resolve the issues with the
rs232/serial interface.

I always thought technology was around to enhance our lives, not to send
us to the quack for more valium.

Toolman Tim

In news:hkQJf.49300$(E-Mail Removed),
Budweiser spewed forth:
> news:VdPJf.3691$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:e7PJf.31808$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Budweiser spewed forth:
>>> Anyone out there use this kit?
>>> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
>>> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
>>> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
>>> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
>>> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the
>>> memory
>>> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
>>> the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or
>>> a config in geo office.
>>> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
>>> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
>>> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance folks
>>> Budweiser

>> Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and
>> diagnostics software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of
>> hardware such as a modem or serial printer and test the hardware with
>> that. Once you know the PC hardware is okay, you can start messing
>> around with software.
>>

> Port works on the pc--found an old mouse festering in the
> cupboard--worked fine--well it worked.

Sounds good to me - although it's not a perfect test, at least you know the
basic functions work.

> So on that assumption the serial port is functional,which leaves the
> cable /the port on the instrument or the software at fault.
> Is there a way to directly address the serial port under XP to see if
> the instrument is trying to talk to the pc or vice versa?
> To resolve a software problem is a minefield ,as the leica software
> for the instrunent (the way i have it setup) is embedded with
> AutoCad, any changes would , or could ,disrupt other survey data
> colection.------That would be bad---bad as a bad thing on one of
> satans own bad spawn,on a really bad day.I maried a Canadian,i have
> suffered enough. I think the best bet is to aquire a all in one memory
> card reader
> short term,and then get the rep out to resolve the issues with the
> rs232/serial interface.
>
> I always thought technology was around to enhance our lives, not to
> send us to the quack for more valium.

Heh - technology is hell when it doesn't work.

Just because the mouse is working, doesn't mean the port is configured
correctly for the software. Go into device manager and see what the
resources are of the COM port. COM1 should be port 3F8, IRQ 4 and COM2
should be port 3E8, IRQ3. If they aren't, you may need to change them - that
is usually done in the BIOS with the CMOS setup program.

And of course, the software itself must be set to use the correct port as
well. Along those lines, if the software wasn't written for XP, it may be
quite difficult to get to work. Windows manages the COM ports, and often
interferes with some programs use of them.

Senti

Budweiser wrote:
> Anyone out there use this kit?
> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the memory
> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see the
> cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a config
> in geo office.
> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?

You could try asking at alt.survey. Chances are you'd find more people
familiar with the onboard software and they may know if it's a simple
config issue. Or they may be able to point you to a better group.

~S