Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Turn Off da Box!

Turn Off da Box!

Frosty

My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
switch on the power supply.
What do I tell him to tweak?
TIA
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

old jon

"Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
> switch on the power supply.
> What do I tell him to tweak?
> TIA

If you mean his system doesn`t `shut down` properly ??

why?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:16:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:

>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
>switch on the power supply.
>What do I tell him to tweak?

Different search terms in www.google.com or this NG 24HSHD

There are many sites, as well as posts in 24HSHD dealing with xp (other
versions) shutdown issues. It's easier to search than copy and paste
them again and again and again......

Me

Trax

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
|>switch on the power supply.
|>What do I tell him to tweak?

I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it -
no waiting, no hassle.

--
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
17:13:25 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide why?
<fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> from this open and apparent
shame?:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:16:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:
>
>>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
>>switch on the power supply.
>>What do I tell him to tweak?

>Different search terms in www.google.com or this NG 24HSHD
>http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
>
>There are many sites, as well as posts in 24HSHD dealing with xp

(other
>versions) shutdown issues. It's easier to search than copy and paste
>them again and again and again......
>
>Me

Hey wow! There's a post there by you!:

"On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>|> Hi
>|> I hope someone can help me with this.
>|> I have Win XP Pro
>|> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then

stops and on
>|> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
>|> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it

off.

>|> What is wrong and how do I fix it?

<snip>

>That's the way it's supposed to work.
>you have three shutdown options:
>Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
>ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

Not always,
XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power
off)
a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
system.

<snip>

Me "

But there's like no answer to the question...how??
<sigh> I guess I'll keep lookin' although I don't see how this is
easier...oh wait, you meant easier for you! My bad!

--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
16:21:50 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "old jon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>"Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
>> switch on the power supply.
>> What do I tell him to tweak?
>> TIA
>>

>If you mean his system doesn`t `shut down` properly ??

Uh, well maybe that's what I mean.
He wants to be able to hit "Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off" the
have the computer actually power down without having to reach behind
his box & flip off the power-supply switch.
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax

-
>no waiting, no hassle.

Um...yeah.
I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
Thing is, he already has that screen.

He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.

How he do dat please?

--

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
|>10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax
|><(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

|>>I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
|>>WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
|>>as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it
|>-
|>>no waiting, no hassle.

|>Um...yeah.
|>I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
|>beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
|>Thing is, he already has that screen.

|>He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
|>whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
|>
|>How he do dat please?

I use the classic menu system, if I shut down with the keyboard I hit:
LWinkey, up arrow, Enter, Enter

-The first time you need to click on Shutdown - the rest of the times
it remembers what you clicked before.

--

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
|>whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
|>
|>How he do dat please?

Punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u - is the U underlined in "tUrn off" on his
machine?

If not you need to fix that, you need to display the alt keys without
hitting the alt key.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...nderlines.mspx
OR http://tinyurl.com/7clg7

--
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf

Alan

Frosty wrote:
> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
> 10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax
> <(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>>I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
>>WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
>>as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it

> -
>
>>no waiting, no hassle.

> Um...yeah.
> I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
> beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
> Thing is, he already has that screen.
>
> He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
> whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
>
> How he do dat please?

How new/old is this computer? Is WinXP native to this system or was it
an upgrade? I remember I had a similiar problem WAY back when I
upgraded to W2K from 98 and Microsoft Phone support (yes phone support)
was befuddled by the fact that Device manager, computer did NOT show
"Advanced Configuration & power Interface" I think I did a clean
install on a HD I had lying around an that worked.