Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > How many here use VMWare for test lab?

How many here use VMWare for test lab?

john63401@yahoo.com

Just curious if anyone here uses only ONE PC....... but
uses VMWare as the "test lab"?

RL Coppedge, MCSE

I'm currently setting myself up (in oh, so many ways) to do that. I've got
3 PC's (1 desktop, 1 server, 1 laptop), but I'm starting to experiment
reformatting the server to be a desktop with VPC to "play" the servers. So
far it looks promising.

My main reason to do this is that I also do video editing, and the server
was the biggest puppy horsepower-wise. But the software and DVD-burners
were put off by the server OS, and preferred XP much more. There's
obviously a lot more flexitilbity as well.

--
RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE, MCT
http://www.rlcoppedge.com/

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious if anyone here uses only ONE PC....... but
> uses VMWare as the "test lab"?

billyw

i use vmware quite a lot for lab and for pre-staging

john63401@yahoo.com

>i use vmware quite a lot for lab and for pre-staging

Could one successfully use ONLY VMWare and only ONE PC
to training and setup a test lab for getting an MCSE
cert?

Example.... I currently have a Dell 350 Precision
workstation with 1 gig of ram and 2.8ghz Pent 4 and 40
gig hard drive.

Could I buy and install VMWare and do all the
"training" I need using only this combo of VMWare and a
single PC?

Marko

>Could I buy and install VMWare and do all the
>"training" I need using only this combo of VMWare and a
>single PC?
>.

My opinion: Yes you could BUT no you wouldn't want to.

Laura A. Robinson

circa Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:54:17 -0500, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, (E-Mail Removed) (john63401
@yahoo.com) said,
> Just curious if anyone here uses only ONE PC....... but
> uses VMWare as the "test lab"?

I just pared down from 21 to 17 servers, but I still use VMWare.

Laura
--
The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist fears it is true.

billyw

ah nothing like a bit of weight loss

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

john63401@yahoo.com

>>But would you be so kind as to explain why not?

>Sure. Most people's minds can't work as well if they shut
>their eyes and try to imagine what they were just looking
>at on their computer screen.

Thanks Marko!!

That was a very informative opinion! Thanks.... and
now I "see"

Laura A. Robinson

circa Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:18:57 -0500, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, (E-Mail Removed) (john63401
@yahoo.com) said,

> >I just pared down from 21 to 17 servers, but I still use VMWare.
> >
> >Laura

> What do YOU use VMWare for Laura?

Fast testing of different configurations; changing machines to test
stuff without having to go through and undo it afterwards; on-the-
road testing of stuff when I can't bring my servers with me.

Laura
--
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making exciting discoveries.