Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis True Image 9 burning to DVD questions

Acronis True Image 9 burning to DVD questions

Spuds

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:22:08 -0600, All Things Mopar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Spuds, that's why I won't upgrade to PSP X. Not enough new,
>and they wrecked the program attempting to seek the PSE 4
>market. I can get back to where 9 is mostly, with the few new
>features intact, but I've got to find my fav toys in the
>"unused commands" dust bin and spend hours beating it back
>into submission.

Yep, it's a truism that software is upgraded more frequently than it's really
needed. While we get new features, often this "chrome" comes at a price, in
both reliability and size. Of course, the most sterling example of this is
Symantec. Virtually every app they've bought out has become bloated beyond
belief. Apps like Ghost, WinFAX, and Norton Utilities, once trim, are now
porcine slugs. Even their flagship app, Norton Antivirus, is universally
loathed in alt.comp.anti-virus.
And I don't think it's mere coincidence that PSP has become victim of creeping
featureitis, given they've been purchased by Corel.

>Anytime one comes in late to an app, as I did here and with
>Roxio 8, you risk buying into a new, non-improved, buggy first
>release. Developers are ever shortening their release cycles
>chasing upgrade fees and trying to attrack new buyers with
>some whiz bang glitz. But, absent finding TI8 on a store shelf
>or at an on-line store somewhere, I didn't have much choice.

Forgot to mention, but I saved ten bucks buying mine from an in dependant
online software retailer. Although I paid them directly, they were merely
brokers, and the download link and registration came right from Acronis.

On the bright side, if they don't bump up prices in the next release, you'll
be able to upgrade to the next release of TrueImage for $29.95 USD.

Spuds

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:35:32 GMT, "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"All Things Mopar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
>> of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
>> what does "OAP" mean?
>>>

>An OAP is the older designation for `Senior Citizen` .
>ie: Old Age Pensioner.

Or in my case, Older And Paunchier. =

All Things Mopar

Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

> You`ll be fine. Spend a bit of time reading the Acronis
> Help Files. Make sure you ubderstand them !.
> If you get stuck just shout.

Thanks again.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

Bill

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:39:41 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

<snip>

>> In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
>> the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
>> Just click on Restore image and away you go.
>> Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
>>
>> *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
>> Ext drive.*

> OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
> the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
> sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
> another $12.99.

At any point after installation of Acronis True Image, you can "create
bootable media". In your case, you could do this to make a bootable CD that
will load a version of TI outside of windows and allow you to restore an
image from a HD partition or exteranl HD. And, probably CD/DVD - I'm not
sure.

I guess this would be analogous to the boot floppys that you can make with
Ghost.

Not to muddy the waters but, since you paid for TI9, Acronis will (if you
ask) allow you to d/l a "PE" version of TI8. It's actually a "plugin" for
a BartPE CD that Acronis made available. You could than use BartPE and
UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows) to create a "live" boot CD with a lot
of really good troubleshooting and restoration tools. You'll need access to
WinXP SP2. BTW, TI8 can restore an image made with TI9. See here for more
info:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

How to build
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

Easy way to build
http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3098

Info on Acronis PE plugin
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/bartpe/

Bill

All Things Mopar

Today Bill commented courteously on the subject at hand

> At any point after installation of Acronis True Image, you
> can "create bootable media". In your case, you could do
> this to make a bootable CD that will load a version of TI
> outside of windows and allow you to restore an image from a
> HD partition or exteranl HD. And, probably CD/DVD - I'm not
> sure.
>
> I guess this would be analogous to the boot floppys that
> you can make with Ghost.

I guess it would help if I got off my duff and installed the
software, huh? <grin> But, being the anally retentive careful
guy I've become since SP2, I wanted a head's up /before/ I
installed TI to help me watch for the important stuff.

I'm quite confident that TI9 will work well for me, and the
developer of the 9th version of such an important utility
would surely have long ago provide a bootable way to get to
your image backups. Thanks for easing my mind.

> Not to muddy the waters but, since you paid for TI9,
> Acronis will (if you ask) allow you to d/l a "PE" version
> of TI8. It's actually a "plugin" for a BartPE CD that
> Acronis made available. You could than use BartPE and
> UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows) to create a "live"
> boot CD with a lot of really good troubleshooting and
> restoration tools. You'll need access to WinXP SP2. BTW,
> TI8 can restore an image made with TI9. See here for more
> info:

Hmmm. Didn't see that on the web site today. I'll check out
the links you provided below. Thank you, Bill. This has /got/
to be the first time I've /ever/ heard of a developer allowing
you to download an earlier version. Often, but not always,
that's how they get around "there's a bug in XXX" by saying
"upgrade to YYY."