Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis True Image 9 burning to DVD questions

Acronis True Image 9 burning to DVD questions

All Things Mopar

I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on endorsements
I've read here. It seems that the largest limitation and
annoyance is True Image's lack of a direct-to-DVD backup. It
took me a while to figure out why I'd want to do this, instead
of just sending the image to my backup external HD, but I did:
to create a bootable restore set in the event that Windows is so
messed up that it won't book in Safe Mode and/or booting off the
Windows install CD and repairing fails.

I received the following reply from my request for clarification
from Acronis. I don't fully understand the answer and would like
a little help. Here's the full text, with my comments
interleaved within ( ):

"Please note that the current version of Acronis True Image 9.0
does not write to DVD dis?s directly, instead it utilizes third-
party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. We may recommend you to
install a UDF-packet DVD-writing software such as Ahead InCD or
Roxio DirectCD, format DVD dis?s by means of this software and
then use formatted dis?s with Acronis True Image.

(I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, but I left DirectCD out
because or prior back experiences. I can do a partial install,
but I don't understand the specific from Acronis to pre-format X
number of discs, one bootable, prior to making an image. How
would I know how many to pre-format?)

"Also DVD-R disks are not supported in Acronis True Image.
We may recommend you to use DVD-RW and DVD+R(W) discs instead.
DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-
party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this
moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

(I've had bad experiences with DVD-RW from eventually making an
entire disc corrupt in the midst of adding more data, so I don't
want to use them. My question is: what exactly are DVD+R and how
do I recognize them in a store? Does the "+" been "plus", as in
better? I don't know enough about optical formats to at all
understand why True Image is so insistant on only one kind of
disc.)

"Please also read the information about writing to DVDs in our
FAQ:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...image/faq.html

(this says I would need to use Roxio drag-to-disc that I also
left out, but it seems /not/ to talk about compatibility with
DVD+R as listed in the opening paragraph above. What gives,
please?)

"Please find the information on how to create a bootable DVD
which contains a backup as well at
&highlight=bootable

(I don't understand the need for a 635MG limit to each 'disc' in
True Image and cannot translate the instructions from Nero to my
Roxio 8. Also, what is WinISO and why do I need it? I see that
it is to convert a binary image to ISO but I have no clue what
that is or why it is necessary for True Image. Please help)

"Please note that using Acronis True Image 9.0 you will be able
to create a special bootable rescue media (CD, a pack of
floppies or a flash card). If your system fails you will just
need to boot from the rescue media and restore the system.

(Is the main point to create a bootable /CD/ with WinISO to just
get the system started and then use the True Image image stored
on my HD to do the sys restore? Or, is the sequence to create a
bootable CD first, then burn directly from True Image to DVD+R
discs formatted with UDF packet writing using Roxio DirectCD?
Please clarify)

"When booted from the bootable media you are able to access any
connected hard disks as well as a wide variety of IDE, SCSI,
FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and PC card (PCMCIA)
interfaces and devices, including CD-ROM, CD-R(RW), DVD,
magneto-optical drives, network, Iomega Zip and Jaz. So you can
store your image files there.

(this suggests the answer to my question above is to create a
single bootable CD and then do the True Image restore from my
HD, or alternatively, from a DVD-R set of discs holding the full
True Image image set. Is this the right interpretation?

Please download Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version at
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/ in
order to check how the product works.

"The limitations of Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version are
that you can only restore an image when you run the program from
the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The
trial version evaluation period is 15 days."

(This seems like a very onerous way of wounding the program. If
I understand this right, I'd have to go through the trouble of
making a bootable CD just in order to get True Image to start on
a broken PC even if the actual image is on my HD. That makes me
nervous. So, would people recommend I just believe that Acronis
is good software, and pay the license fee and move on with my
life?)

"If you would like to order your software before the trial
period ends, please visit the Acronis online store at
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/online/

"If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel
free to contact us at your earliest convenience with the details
and we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

"You are welcome to submit your comments on Acronis Customer
Service. Your feedback is very important for us. You can send
your comments to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or fill the form at
https://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/?ab=3.

(I think that Acronis True Image is what I'm looking for, but
I'd need a gentle nudge to understand enough of the instruction
for burning direct to a packet written DVD+R disc with
confidence. Thank you.)

--
ATM, aka Jerry

old jon

"All Things Mopar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on endorsements
> I've read here.

Big Snip. Read the OP.

Hi Jerry. I think I told you before, I use TI 8.
You install it on your system. You then have the option to create a
Acronis TI CD.
In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with the CD.
You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
Just click on Restore image and away you go.
Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.

*I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your Ext drive.*

Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
As far as the type of DVD you use.
Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit expensive !)
Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times, by simply erasing
them, ready for re-use.
DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to format them,
before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s nothing much else going
on with your system. (You can `quick format` them).
Come back for more if you want to.

--
bw..OJ

All Things Mopar

Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on
>>endorsements I've read here.
>>

> Big Snip. Read the OP.
>>

> Hi Jerry. I think I told you before, I use TI 8.
> You install it on your system. You then have the option to
> create a Acronis TI CD.

I think you did, old jon, but your comments are spinning on my
HD somewhere, I apologize.

By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
that help me?

> In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
> the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
> Just click on Restore image and away you go.
> Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
>
> *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
> Ext drive.*

OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
another $12.99.

Or, do you mean that the install program prompts me to let it
create a bootable launch CD, or maybe I can build a bootable
CD of the TI loader during or after I've created an image.

I'm sorry for being so dense this morning, but I can't track
the workflow here.

> Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
> As far as the type of DVD you use.
> Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit
> expensive !) Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times,
> by simply erasing them, ready for re-use.
> DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to
> format them, before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s
> nothing much else going on with your system. (You can
> `quick format` them). Come back for more if you want to.

My original intent was to simply create the image on my HD,
then migrate them periodically to two external I move back and
forth to my bank safety deposit box. I thought people were
saying they wanted to burn DVDs to prevent Murphy from making
it imppossible to get to their HD image at all.

I understand that DVD-RW can be written to and re-written
until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
late, so I've long ago stopped using them.

But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
"what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
image set on optical?"

Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
that people don't like.

Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying
extra for a backup CD.

Thanks

--

> Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand
>
>>>I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on
>>>endorsements I've read here.
>>>

>> Big Snip. Read the OP.

snip again

> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
> that help me?

I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear. <g>.

>> In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
>> the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
>> Just click on Restore image and away you go.
>> Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
>>
>> *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
>> Ext drive.*

> OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
> the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
> sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
> another $12.99.
>
> Or, do you mean that the install program prompts me to let it
> create a bootable launch CD, or maybe I can build a bootable
> CD of the TI loader during or after I've created an image.

TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover your
image.

>> Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
>> As far as the type of DVD you use.
>> Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit
>> expensive !) Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times,
>> by simply erasing them, ready for re-use.
>> DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to
>> format them, before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s
>> nothing much else going on with your system. (You can
>> `quick format` them). Come back for more if you want to.

> My original intent was to simply create the image on my HD,
> then migrate them periodically to two external I move back and
> forth to my bank safety deposit box. I thought people were
> saying they wanted to burn DVDs to prevent Murphy from making
> it imppossible to get to their HD image at all.

The DVDc you create for Extra safety.

> I understand that DVD-RW can be written to and re-written
> until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
> the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
> late, so I've long ago stopped using them.

Sadly all things computer are fallible.

> But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
> "what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
> need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
> image set on optical?"

DVD-R were compatible with older DVD players
I believe there is a slight file system config dfference
between -R and +R.

> Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
> 44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
> I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
> what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
> can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
> that people don't like.

As I said, backup to hard drive. It`s what I do about once a week.
Having to backup to Hard drive and then copy to DVD,
is a bit more work. But worth the extra security.

--
bw..OJ

Spuds

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:39:41 -0600, All Things Mopar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
>the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
>late, so I've long ago stopped using them.
>
>But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
>"what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
>need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
>image set on optical?"
>
>Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
>44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
>I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
>what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
>can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
>that people don't like.
>
>Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
>Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying

I'm not sure why you would pay extra for a backup. Since you're paying for
the download, why wouldn't you make your own backup?

As old jon pointed out, you can make your own boot CD with TI. If you suffer
a catastrophic failure, you just boot the TI disk and restore from your DVD
backups. If you only have one optical drive, the TI program loads into
memory, and when ready to insert your backups, you can remove the TI disk and
proceed.

Spuds

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:28:12 GMT, "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"All Things Mopar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>> Big Snip. Read the OP.
>>>>

>snip again
>>
>> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
>> that help me?
>>

>I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear. <g>.

And based on the differences between 8 and 9, it doesn't seem to be worth the
upgrade price. If they come through with direct-to-DVDR burning in the next
version, I'll be in line. <g>

All Things Mopar

Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

>> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how
>> does that help me?
>>

> I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
> <g>.

I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
what does "OAP" mean?

> TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover
> your image.

I've got other things to do today, so I'll see later how 9
does. If it is a real upgrade, I'll be able to do what you're
doing. On the other hand, if it is what Roxio did from 7 to 8,
I'm screwed with no real recourse other than to get them to
refund my money. But, since I have confidence in people's
opinion and the company, I'm sure I'll be OK..

>> But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
>> "what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why
>> do I need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create
>> a TI image set on optical?"
>>

> DVD-R were compatible with older DVD players
> I believe there is a slight file system config dfference
> between -R and +R.

OK. Does TI actually fail with an ordinary DVD-R or does it
just work more reliabely with DVD+R? And, how do you buy them?
I don't recall seeing spindles of +R discs on store shelves
lately.

> As I said, backup to hard drive. It`s what I do about once
> a week. Having to backup to Hard drive and then copy to
> DVD, is a bit more work. But worth the extra security.

That was my original plan. I doubt I'll back up as often as
you do, but I might before attempting to do something
potentionally dangerous. Being a an admirer of how well Murphy
can veil his attacks, I'll set a RP before letting TI9
install, whether it does one or not, as well as back up my key
settings with the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. But, God
forbid, if TI9 goes bump in the night, by definition I am
hosed.

If anything weird happens, after I calm down, I'll ask for
assistance. But, I do think everything will be OK.

Thanks for your help, old jon

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
>><g>.

> And based on the differences between 8 and 9, it doesn't
> seem to be worth the upgrade price. If they come through
> with direct-to-DVDR burning in the next version, I'll be in
> line. <g>

Spuds, that's why I won't upgrade to PSP X. Not enough new,
and they wrecked the program attempting to seek the PSE 4
market. I can get back to where 9 is mostly, with the few new
features intact, but I've got to find my fav toys in the
"unused commands" dust bin and spend hours beating it back
into submission.

Anytime one comes in late to an app, as I did here and with
Roxio 8, you risk buying into a new, non-improved, buggy first
release. Developers are ever shortening their release cycles
chasing upgrade fees and trying to attrack new buyers with
some whiz bang glitz. But, absent finding TI8 on a store shelf
or at an on-line store somewhere, I didn't have much choice.

I get quite focused and excessively detail oriented when I'm
on a quest for knowledge about something new. So, I think I've
lost the big picture in my obsession to qualify the DVD thingy
on a program that only costs $50 in the first place (although,
I also "wasted" another $13 on a backup CD in case anything is
corrupt in the download and I can't for any reason do a new
download).

Since first seeing the movie "Killer Elite" with James Caan
and Robert Duvall in 1975, I have adopted the casual mention
Duvall makes - "I failed because I didn't heed the 6 P
Principle - Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance". I
used that for most of my career, I just cut it to "5 P" for
obvious reasons.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
>>Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying
>> extra for a backup CD.

> I'm not sure why you would pay extra for a backup. Since
> you're paying for the download, why wouldn't you make your
> own backup?
>
> As old jon pointed out, you can make your own boot CD with
> TI. If you suffer a catastrophic failure, you just boot
> the TI disk and restore from your DVD backups. If you only
> have one optical drive, the TI program loads into memory,
> and when ready to insert your backups, you can remove the
> TI disk and proceed.

See my just previous reply, Spuds. $13 is a small price for me
to pay, even on a never-increasing pension, to avoid the
frustration and hassle if my download is even 0.00001% corrupt
and I can't do another download without effort with Acronis
tech support.

When I download anything, I first give it a longer file name
more illustrative to its name and purpose, and immediately
copy it to my work-in-progress Maxtor external. About once
every month or two, I run a CD or DVD of my entire
"downloads" folder. And, just last week, I started on my 2-
external "grandfathering" backup strategy.

I dumped everything I want to preserve on all 3 of my PCs to a
250 gig external, verified it, and hauled the thing to my bank
10" x 22" x 3" safety deposit box. I bought a new, larger one
for just $66 a year that'll hold two externals and probably
30-50 CD/DVD discs if I use paper sleeves or those slim-line
jewel cases, and still have room for my "important papers." My
plan is to dump all 3 systems to the 2nd new external, this
time using TI for Windoze and my apps, take it to the bank and
leave it, take #1 back, format it, and get ready for next
month.

This scheme has cost me only $450 and eliminates the haunted
feeling I've had for a long time of what would happen in the
event of a break-in, tornado or fire in my home. All my PCs
and optical media would melt or just be stolen, right? So,
along with cycling externals to the safety deposit box, I'll
also store the most important install CDs, particularly key
apps and Windoze CDs. In most cases, I can get a replacement,
but some proggies are out-of-production and/or the developer
is literally gone. At worst, I'd be out-of-business for only a
couple days.

But, being careful can go overboard. What happens if a semi
truck full of gasoline crashes into the bank and destroys the
safety deposit boxes, then incinerates what's left? And, as
the saying goes, "just because everyone is out to get me is no
reason to be paranoid!"

Cheers!

--

> Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand
>
>>> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how
>>> does that help me?
>>>

>> I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
>> <g>.

> I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
> of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
> what does "OAP" mean?

An OAP is the older designation for `Senior Citizen` .
ie: Old Age Pensioner.

>> TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover
>> your image.

> I've got other things to do today, so I'll see later how 9
> does. If it is a real upgrade, I'll be able to do what you're
> doing. On the other hand, if it is what Roxio did from 7 to 8,
> I'm screwed with no real recourse other than to get them to
> refund my money. But, since I have confidence in people's
> opinion and the company, I'm sure I'll be OK..

You`ll be fine. Spend a bit of time reading the Acronis Help Files.
Make sure you ubderstand them !.
If you get stuck just shout.

> Thanks for your help, old jon

A pleasure to try to help. Good luck.