Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Would like some help with a practical joke

Would like some help with a practical joke

Bill Haverberg

I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
new one sometime in November.

Even though we're friends, we're totally opposite when it comes to
politics, something that is quite evident in his daily blog updates
(shotinthedark.info) and in my occasional rebuttal comments.

So ... before I loan the laptop out, I want to rig it to play Green
Day's "American Idiot" everytime he powers the thing up. I also want
to make him work at trying to remove it, so if he finds one way to
disable it, there should still be two or three other, redundant
invocations that need to be disabled as well. He can take a joke,
fortunately.

And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
forum.

This time the duration is going to last longer than the war
(Paul Goodman, "The Empire City")

Evan Platt

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
>to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
>think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
>course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
>forum.

What the heck's that supposed to mean?

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
>>to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
>>think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
>>course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
>>forum.

> What the heck's that supposed to mean?

That the idiot is a script kiddie that can't figure out how to do anything
and needs handholding as a wannabe malcontent.

philo

"Bill Haverberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
> new one sometime in November.
>
> Even though we're friends, we're totally opposite when it comes to
> politics, something that is quite evident in his daily blog updates
> (shotinthedark.info) and in my occasional rebuttal comments.

control panel

sounds

you can customize to make any action play that music

Whiskers

On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
> new one sometime in November.

snip

Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Bill Haverberg

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:18:47 -0600, "Vanguard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
>>>to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
>>>think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
>>>course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
>>>forum.

>> What the heck's that supposed to mean?

>That the idiot is a script kiddie that can't figure out how to do anything
>and needs handholding as a wannabe malcontent.

Um, no, not really. It's just that reality took hold while I was
typing that, and I had a sudden dawning in that that kind of knowledge
was of the very real "two-edged" variety sort of thing.

I guess the way I expressed that wasn't very artful, however.
This time the duration is going to last longer than the war
(Paul Goodman, "The Empire City")

Bill Haverberg

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:12:15 +0000, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
>> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
>> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
>> new one sometime in November.

>snip
>
>Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

Good question, really, and worth a look.

Hmm ... let's see, since there's no state requirement for title
registration or anything like that, the only requirement governing the
transfer would be the EULA agreement. I know you didn't ask about
this, but it is always nice to isolate the issue as much as possible
from externalities before proceeding.

The languge in the EULA covers ONLY the operating system and any media
it is on, including backup copies. Since the laptop would have the OS
installed on it, this transfer would be covered under the EULA as:

"You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only
as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
you retain no copies"

I'm reading this as I would be required to hand over an install set of
Windows XP Pro; since I have a spare copy (lost, repurchased, then
found again) I'd be more than willing to do this to satisfy legal
requirements. But then, he'd look at me funny and ask why I'm giving
him the OS disks since he already has a copy...

This time the duration is going to last longer than the war
(Paul Goodman, "The Empire City")

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Whiskers wrote:

> On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
>> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
>> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying
>> a new one sometime in November.

> snip
>
> Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on the
same computer.

Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

If however, he takes his XP CD and installs it on a second computer - no
matter where that computer is located - that is a violation of the
license.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Whiskers

On 2006-02-18, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
>>> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
>>> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying
>>> a new one sometime in November.

>> snip
>>
>> Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

> If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
> licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on the
> same computer.
>
> Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

Except that the license is issued to the user who clicks on 'I accept' to
make the PC do anything the first time Windows is run; not to anyone else.
A 'grey area'.

In the UK, shops selling used computers either remove the system from the
HD or include a disclaimer that 'any software found on this equipment is
not part of the transaction, is not warrented, and no transfer of licence
is implied', or something similar.

> If however, he takes his XP CD and installs it on a second computer - no
> matter where that computer is located - that is a violation of the
> license.

Definitely.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Whiskers wrote:

> On 2006-02-18, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:

>>> snip
>>>
>>> Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

>> If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
>> licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on
>> the same computer.
>>
>> Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

> Except that the license is issued to the user who clicks on 'I
> accept' to make the PC do anything the first time Windows is run; not
> to anyone else. A 'grey area'.

Yes, you make it sound like one. <g> That would imply that I could not
invite any other person to sit down in front of my computer [1] and use
it. "Hey, go ahead and check your email." Doesn't sound like a rational
point.

[1 which is more or less what the OP suggested.]

> In the UK, shops selling used computers either remove the system from
> the HD or include a disclaimer that 'any software found on this
> equipment is not part of the transaction, is not warrented, and no
> transfer of licence is implied', or something similar.

I'd agree with this. Someone else still has the original installation
CD.