Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > folder open every time I boot xp

folder open every time I boot xp

Tim

Trying to get rid of a nasty malware I followed instructions from Norton
Antivirus. I had to temporarily "turn off system restore on all drives", at
that time I had the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder open on the desktop, now
every time I boot up the folder is still there. After the Norton fix failed
I eventually had to boot up on a CD and delete a .dll that was in that
folder to get rid of the problem. I have tried everything I can think of to
get that folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32) to be closed when I start but it still
comes up every time. Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

I am running Windows XP 2000 sp2.

Thanks for your help...
Tim

Trax

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Trying to get rid of a nasty malware I followed instructions from Norton
|>Antivirus. I had to temporarily "turn off system restore on all drives", at
|>that time I had the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder open on the desktop, now
|>every time I boot up the folder is still there. After the Norton fix failed
|>I eventually had to boot up on a CD and delete a .dll that was in that
|>folder to get rid of the problem. I have tried everything I can think of to
|>get that folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32) to be closed when I start but it still
|>comes up every time. Anyone know what I should do to fix this?
|>
|>I am running Windows XP 2000 sp2.
|>
|>Thanks for your help...
|>Tim

Go into each
"Documents and Settings\XXXX\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
directory and look for something that would do this.

Also Start | Run <type in> msconfig <enter> and see what's listed.

--
http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/

fred-bloggs

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:newscache$cr7sui$r3i$(E-Mail Removed):

> Trying to get rid of a nasty malware I followed instructions from
> Norton Antivirus. I had to temporarily "turn off system restore on
> all drives", at that time I had the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder open on
> the desktop, now every time I boot up the folder is still there.
> After the Norton fix failed I eventually had to boot up on a CD and
> delete a .dll that was in that folder to get rid of the problem. I
> have tried everything I can think of to get that folder
> (C:\WINDOWS\system32) to be closed when I start but it still comes up
> every time. Anyone know what I should do to fix this?
>
> I am running Windows XP 2000 sp2.

Do you mean XP SP2?
Kelly has a tweak for System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...tem32opens.vbs

--
fred