Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Data Recovery

Data Recovery

Jimi

My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.

I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
the other located in various folders in My Documents.

In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder or
the Desktop folder.

Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
done professionally. Cheers.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Jimi wrote:
> My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
> upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
>
> I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
> much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
> the other located in various folders in My Documents.
>
> In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
> harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder or
> the Desktop folder.
>
> Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
> done professionally. Cheers.

Try searching the external drive for a *filename* that you know was in
the desktop or My Documents "folder".

You may be surprised to see it find it and what folder it is in...

--
Sue

Meat Plow

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0000, Jimi wrote:

> My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
> upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
>
> I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
> much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
> the other located in various folders in My Documents.
>
> In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
> harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder
> or the Desktop folder.
>
> Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have
> it done professionally. Cheers.

What OS? Is it that you just don't know where your local docs are stored?
Need some more info dood.

Dave Keays

Jimi wrote:
> My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
> upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
>
> I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
> much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
> the other located in various folders in My Documents.
>
> In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
> harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder or
> the Desktop folder.
>
> Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
> done professionally. Cheers.

If you are using XPh or XPp, then the contents of the 'My Documents' folder are at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\My Documents

Of course you have to replace the <USER NAME> with your user name and maybe
change the drive numbers as needed. Use 'All Users' for the shared documents.

--

Dave Keays

fred-bloggs

"Jimi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:j1_If.318$(E-Mail Removed):

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech

--
fred

Terry

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0000, Jimi wrote:
>
>> My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
>> upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
>>
>> I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
>> much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
>> the other located in various folders in My Documents.
>>
>> In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
>> harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder
>> or the Desktop folder.
>>
>> Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have
>> it done professionally. Cheers.

> What OS? Is it that you just don't know where your local docs are stored?
> Need some more info dood.

I think he told you Win 98, dood!

Plato

Jimi wrote:

Using Linux? You didn't say what OS you are using.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jimi

Thanks Fred, that was very useful! Got it sorted. Cheers.
news:43f481e0$0$82574$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...