Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > linux distro requirements

linux distro requirements

John Jay Smith

is there a site that has all the major distro system requirments organized?

I am searching for older distro information but that info is all scrambled
up with
newer versions of the same distro...

Whiskers

On 2006-02-16, John Jay Smith <-> wrote:
> is there a site that has all the major distro system requirments organized?
>
> I am searching for older distro information but that info is all scrambled
> up with
> newer versions of the same distro...

Why do you need information about distros that are out of date and
therefore no longer 'supported' or easily kept up-to-date with security
patches etc?

The current distros will often work perfectly well on older x586 machines -
that is one of the strengths of Linux compared with some other OSs - and
there are a few current distros specifically designed for 'obsolete'
hardware - right back to x386 and equivalent processors. If a PC was
built for Windows 95, 98, or XP, then I think any of the current distros
will be able to run. If the latest versions of the KDE or Gnome
'graphical desktop' are too slow on a particular machine, there are
several 'light-weight' alternatives that will be easily grasped by anyone
familiar with Mac or Windows. (You can use any 'window manager' and/or
'desktop environment' you want, with almost all Linux distros; or just use
a text-based console if you prefer).

Try this site <http://distrowatch.com/>.

I'm a fan of Mandriva, but SuSE or Fedora or Debian are almost as good
)

--
-- Whiskers

python linux distro azrael Python 10 02-10-2007 10:52 AM
Re: Is there a "Best Linux distro for dual-booting" chart? Richard Sorgen Computer Support 0 08-21-2006 01:37 PM
Consumer-Friendly Linux Distro Found in Linspire Five-O Au79 Computer Support 3 07-25-2006 07:43 PM
Stunning Linux Distro Au79 Computer Support 0 04-18-2006 04:21 PM
Minimal distro requirements for standalone python program.... jeuxal_com Python 2 03-02-2004 03:22 PM

Advertisments