Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do i disable my win xp account

How do i disable my win xp account

spikemike

Hi there a while ago i passworded my computer (xp), so my daughter
couldnt get onto my desktop, and only use a portion of the internet...I
set up myself as admin of the computer, and her just as a user..

now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
account..

when i try to delete it i get a message saying one person has to be the
admin..etc etc???...surely there is a file i can delete or summat???
Hoping you can help

thank you

Michael

Duane Arnold

spikemike wrote:
> Hi there a while ago i passworded my computer (xp), so my daughter
> couldnt get onto my desktop, and only use a portion of the internet...I
> set up myself as admin of the computer, and her just as a user..
>
> now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
> what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
> hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
> files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
> computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
> account..
>
> when i try to delete it i get a message saying one person has to be the
> admin..etc etc???...surely there is a file i can delete or summat???
> Hoping you can help

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231

You should do some other things to protect the XP O/S or *harden* it to
attack.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane

Evan Platt

On 15 Feb 2006 09:39:07 -0800, "spikemike"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there a while ago i passworded my computer (xp), so my daughter
>couldnt get onto my desktop, and only use a portion of the internet...I
>set up myself as admin of the computer, and her just as a user..
>
>now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
>what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
>hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
>files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
>computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
>account..
>
>when i try to delete it i get a message saying one person has to be the
>admin..etc etc???...surely there is a file i can delete or summat???
>Hoping you can help

Hal Clark

"spikemike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi there a while ago i passworded my computer (xp), so my daughter
> couldnt get onto my desktop, and only use a portion of the internet...I
> set up myself as admin of the computer, and her just as a user..
>
> now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
> what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
> hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
> files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
> computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
> account..
>
> when i try to delete it i get a message saying one person has to be the
> admin..etc etc???...surely there is a file i can delete or summat???
> Hoping you can help
>
> thank you
>
> Michael

From "Using Wundows XP Professional" by Briian Knittel & Robert Cowart.

"As administator run the User Manager by clicking Start, Control Panel, User
Accounts. Under Pick A Task, select change the Way Users Log On or Off.

Then, you can check or uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen". When the Welcome
Screen is enabled, you can enable or disale the Fast User Switching
feature."

My computer is setup the way you want yours to be. I can't remember exactly
how I did it, but I do know that you do it with the option to enable or
disable the welcome screen. I was thinking that you had to disable the
welcome screen, but I checked mine and both boxes are checked. ie "Use the
welcome screen" and "Use fast user switching". If that doesn't work then I'm
sure that if you play with it a bit and try different settings you will come
up with the correct combination.

Trax

"spikemike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
|>what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
|>hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
|>files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
|>computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
|>account..

Start | Run <type in> control userpasswords2 <enter>

First selection.

--
http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/

Hal Clark

"Hal Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "spikemike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi there a while ago i passworded my computer (xp), so my daughter
> > couldnt get onto my desktop, and only use a portion of the internet...I
> > set up myself as admin of the computer, and her just as a user..
> >
> > now that i dont need her account and i dont need my part passworded,
> > what is the best way to delete my account(i already have deleted
> > hers)......i basically want to switch on the computer,and start up
> > files to be enabled...and me to get onto computing..instead of the
> > computer start up process being paused, and me having to click my
> > account..
> >
> > when i try to delete it i get a message saying one person has to be the
> > admin..etc etc???...surely there is a file i can delete or summat???
> > Hoping you can help
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > Michael
> >

> From "Using Wundows XP Professional" by Briian Knittel & Robert Cowart.
>
> "As administator run the User Manager by clicking Start, Control Panel,

User
> Accounts. Under Pick A Task, select change the Way Users Log On or Off.
>
> Then, you can check or uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen". When the Welcome
> Screen is enabled, you can enable or disale the Fast User Switching
> feature."
>
> My computer is setup the way you want yours to be. I can't remember

exactly
> how I did it, but I do know that you do it with the option to enable or
> disable the welcome screen. I was thinking that you had to disable the
> welcome screen, but I checked mine and both boxes are checked. ie "Use the
> welcome screen" and "Use fast user switching". If that doesn't work then

I'm
> sure that if you play with it a bit and try different settings you will

come
> up with the correct combination.

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen to make logon an unattended process:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use
this computer]

check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in
the dialog box

that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching

Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<wNJIf.15957$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>...

> I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 30 years.

spikemike

Thanks to everybody who replied...i will be trying it later, when i get
home..

Thanks again

Michael