Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis True image 9.0 or Norton Ghost 10.0 ?

Acronis True image 9.0 or Norton Ghost 10.0 ?

John Jay Smith

I have not found a setting for 2 GB,
it goes from 700 MB to
4.5 GB

"Spuds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:49:58 GMT, fkasner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Spuds wrote:

>>> Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a bloated POS,
>>> like
>>> all other Symantec apps have become. Backup filesize had gotten bigger
>>> than
>>> v8 as well.
>>> Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only minor beef I
>>> have
>>> with it is that it will not directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround
>>> is just
>>> burn the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be
>>> added
>>> soon.

> [...]
>>DVD disks. Now work around needed just have it choose the second DVD
>>drive (the writer/reader not the first one which is only reader) and off
>>it goes. Backs up an image of the 160 GB HD in about 45 minutes. Sweet
>>compared to the days when I used 360 KB floppies to backup a 10 MB HD.
>>or used a tape to bu the HD.

> If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to backup to DVD, the
> only
> way you can do it is via packet writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in
> the
> drive and attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you to
> insert
> a CD. If you want to burn without packet writing, you have to write the
> image
> to HD, then use disk burning software to transfer to DVD
>
> Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:
>
> Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images directly to DVD
> discs?
>
> A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disc in Windows
> if
> UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed and the DVD disc is
> formatted. If
> a DVD disc is not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to format
> it.
>
> You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing driver so that you
> can
> format the DVD and the computer can see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0
> currently supports the following DVD-writing software:
>
> * Roxio Drag-To-Disc - a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator
> * Ahead InCD - available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users
> (and usually is shipped with Nero)
>
> In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF packet
> DVD-writing
> software, but the two above are the most popular and they have been tested
> and
> approved by Acronis.
>
> To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you should do the
> following:
>
> 1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
> 2. Format the DVD discs.
> 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted DVD disc into the
> DVD
> burner and create an image.
> 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in Windows and by
> means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
>
> There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image
> 9.0
> can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard
> disk
> itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software
> the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to
> 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the
> maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

John Jay Smith

Oh you have to type in the value manualy...

Acronis is the one.. downloaded the trial and it ROCKS!!!

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> [...]

>> 2. Format the DVD discs.
>> 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted DVD disc into the
>> DVD
>> burner and create an image.
>> 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in Windows and by
>> means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
>>
>> There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image
>> 9.0
>> can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard
>> disk
>> itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing
>> software to
>> the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to
>> 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the
>> maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, John Jay Smith mused:

| I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0,
| but it does not support disks larger than 137 gb
|
| So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am
| not aware of that
| is better than the ones on the subject line?

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff.../features.html

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...s-imaging.html

| Thanks

True Image!!!

All Things Mopar

Today John Jay Smith commented courteously on the subject at
hand

> Oh you have to type in the value manualy...
>
> Acronis is the one.. downloaded the trial and it ROCKS!!!

I didn't previously see this thread, but I got a rousing
recommendation on the commercial version of Acronis earlier
today in answer to my own similar question (although mine was
more general, I just want an image backup utility, I'm not tied
to any developer).

I need to reload the old headers for this NG and look at the
entire thread.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

> Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a
> bloated POS, like all other Symantec apps have become.
> Backup filesize had gotten bigger than v8 as well.
> Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only
> minor beef I have with it is that it will not directly
> backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just burn the image
> after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be added
> soon.

Wouldn't burning directly to DVD result in a spanned multi-disc
burn for anything more than a trivial backup? Besides, wouldn't
you prefer to verify for yourself that the image was created
without error as quickly as possible, without wasting both time
and money on 1, 2, 3...discs?

Not disputing, just asking. Thanks.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today fkasner commented courteously on the subject at hand

> Spuds wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <->
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive
>>>image 7.0, but it does not support disks larger than 137
>>>gb
>>>
>>>So which is better of the 2, or is there another program
>>>that I am not aware of that
>>>is better than the ones on the subject line?
>>>
>>>http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...cts/backup_rec
>>>overy/ghost10/features.html
>>>
>>>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../trueimage/fea
>>>tures-imaging.html
>>>
>>>Thanks

>> Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it
>> a bloated POS, like all other Symantec apps have become.
>> Backup filesize had gotten bigger than v8 as well.
>> Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The
>> only minor beef I have with it is that it will not
>> directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just burn
>> the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability
>> will be added soon.

> That's odd. I've used TrueImage 8.0 for some time now and I
> have regularly used DVD disks in a DVD writer to back up my
> 160 GB HD. Now that is just a fall back method because I
> purchased a few months ago a 160 GB external HD and
> reformated it and ignored the included software for backup
> and used it to backup the internal HD with Acronis True
> Image 8.0. However HDs are delicate and so I also
> occasionally backup to the DVD disks. Now work around
> needed just have it choose the second DVD drive (the
> writer/reader not the first one which is only reader) and
> off it goes. Backs up an image of the 160 GB HD in about 45
> minutes. Sweet compared to the days when I used 360 KB
> floppies to backup a 10 MB HD. or used a tape to bu the HD.
> FK

I can appreciate the 45 minute time, but wouldn't that be on
the order of 25-30 DVDs? How did your automated system swap
the discs in and out, whilst labeling them as you go? As with
my other reply, not disputing, just asking.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

> If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to
> backup to DVD, the only way you can do it is via packet
> writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in the drive and
> attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you
> to insert a CD. If you want to burn without packet
> writing, you have to write the image to HD, then use disk
> burning software to transfer to DVD
>
> Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:
>
> Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images
> directly to DVD discs?
>
> A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD
> disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is
> installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is
> not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to
> format it.
>
> You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing
> driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can
> see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the
> following DVD-writing software:
>
> * Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media
> Creator * Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero
> site for Ahead Nero users
> (and usually is shipped with Nero)
>
> In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF
> packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most
> popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.
>
> To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you
> should do the following:
>
> 1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
> 2. Format the DVD discs.
> 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted
> DVD disc into the DVD
> burner and create an image.
> 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in
> Windows and by
> means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
>
> There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs.
> Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard
> disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself,
> and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing
> software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image
> archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the
> "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a
> file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire to
go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be numerous
for me, but I'm still trying to even understand the technology
of image backups.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

All Things Mopar

Today All Things Mopar commented courteously on the subject
at hand

Please forgive my bad, I misread your comment as "Acronis
/sucks/" somehow.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

Spuds

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:01:30 -0600, All Things Mopar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand
>
>> If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to
>> backup to DVD, the only way you can do it is via packet
>> writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in the drive and
>> attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you
>> to insert a CD. If you want to burn without packet
>> writing, you have to write the image to HD, then use disk
>> burning software to transfer to DVD
>>
>> Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:
>>
>> Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images
>> directly to DVD discs?
>>
>> A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD
>> disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is
>> installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is
>> not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to
>> format it.
>>
>> You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing
>> driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can
>> see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the
>> following DVD-writing software:
>>
>> * Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media
>> Creator * Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero
>> site for Ahead Nero users
>> (and usually is shipped with Nero)
>>
>> In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF
>> packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most
>> popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.
>>
>> To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you
>> should do the following:
>>
>> 1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
>> 2. Format the DVD discs.
>> 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted
>> DVD disc into the DVD
>> burner and create an image.
>> 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in
>> Windows and by
>> means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
>>
>> There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs.
>> Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard
>> disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself,
>> and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing
>> software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image
>> archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the
>> "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a
>> file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

>Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire to
>go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be numerous
>for me, but I'm still trying to even understand the technology
>of image backups.

Wow, you must have an awful lot of applications. You aren't keeping _data_ on
your Windows partition, are you?

All Things Mopar

Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire
>>to go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be
>>numerous for me, but I'm still trying to even understand
>>the technology of image backups.

> Wow, you must have an awful lot of applications. You
> aren't keeping _data_ on your Windows partition, are you?

No way, Jose! <grin>

I have an extended partition for all non-graphics data,
primarily MP3s, and a partition for graphics-only data,
primarily JPEGs. And, I have a work-in-progress external HD
and two more externals that I'm just now setting up to do
rotating monthly backups of all 3 of my PCs, and store the
external in my bank's safety deposit box for insurance against
a break-in, fire, tornado, anything that would cause me to
lose everything.

The only data that's on C:\ is what insistant apps need/want
to put there, such as Turbo Tax. If it doesn't go under My
Documents the dumb ass app can't find it. So, while there's
little data and only a moderate number of apps on C:\ (and
some RPs), I'm running at around 12 gig on a 45 gig primary
partition, which would be 3 DVD-Rs.

There's 50+ gig on each of my data partitions, but ordinary
Windows copies and simple CD and DVD burns are enough to
protect that, or so I've convinced myself. 50 gig would be
over 10 discs. That's expensive, slow, and problematical. I do
want to keep an open mind, so I'd value your opinion on using
an image backup utility for simple data.

I'm going to continue to lurk and investigate a good solution,
but I'm pretty sure I do /not/ want Ghost or Go-Back. In
various places, I see the usual comments. About half say it is
great, while the other half are trying to find a way, any way
to get rid of it. I don't know who's right, as it is PC and
workflow specific, but I don't like beta testing on my Visa,
nor risking a non-restore for any reason. Right now, Acronis
looks very good to me.

There's a trial of that, right? I'll look again and download
it to a test drive.

--
ATM, aka Jerry