Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > webpage problem

webpage problem

D@Z

I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be
loaded as a page into my site, the page can be found at
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseact...29/Season/2005
What I was wondering is can I set my page so that it loads just the table of
results and that it changes as the table is updated by the RFU?without
having to copy and paste the table everytime it changes?I hope this is clear
enough ,basically what I want is the table of results automatically
updating rather like the BBC Sports panel in the index of the site does now
tia

Tony

"D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
>would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be
>loaded as a page into my site, the page can be found at
>http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseact...29/Season/2005
> What I was wondering is can I set my page so that it loads just the table
> of results and that it changes as the table is updated by the RFU?without
> having to copy and paste the table everytime it changes?I hope this is
> clear enough ,basically what I want is the table of results automatically
> updating rather like the BBC Sports panel in the index of the site does
> now
> tia

Basically, no. The web page is probably dynamically produced and the end
product is a complete page, you cannot 'extract' individual parts of the
page.

You also shouldn't take content of another website without asking the
website owners permission. If you could link to it, they would not be very
pleased if you done so without their permission.

The only way you can do it is by contacting the website owner and asking if
they can set up something like an RSS feed.

Rich Wilson

news:dsr6ra$p0m$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
>>would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be
>>loaded as a page into my site, the page can be found at
>>http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseact...29/Season/2005
>> What I was wondering is can I set my page so that it loads just the table
>> of results and that it changes as the table is updated by the RFU?without
>> having to copy and paste the table everytime it changes?I hope this is
>> clear enough ,basically what I want is the table of results
>> automatically updating rather like the BBC Sports panel in the index of
>> the site does now
>> tia

> Basically, no. The web page is probably dynamically produced and the end
> product is a complete page, you cannot 'extract' individual parts of the
> page.
>
> You also shouldn't take content of another website without asking the
> website owners permission.

Exactly. You could, however, put that (complete) page in a frame on your
site.

D@Z

I dont use frames,my website is based on a template with an editable region
which is where all the info goes,I dont think I can select a source for that
region
"Rich Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ja9If.40620$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dsr6ra$p0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
>>>would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be
>>>loaded as a page into my site, the page can be found at
>>>http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseact...29/Season/2005
>>> What I was wondering is can I set my page so that it loads just the
>>> table of results and that it changes as the table is updated by the
>>> RFU?without having to copy and paste the table everytime it changes?I
>>> hope this is clear enough ,basically what I want is the table of
>>> results automatically updating rather like the BBC Sports panel in the
>>> index of the site does now
>>> tia

>> Basically, no. The web page is probably dynamically produced and the end
>> product is a complete page, you cannot 'extract' individual parts of the
>> page.
>>
>> You also shouldn't take content of another website without asking the
>> website owners permission.

> Exactly. You could, however, put that (complete) page in a frame on your
> site.

Rich Wilson

"D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f12266$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rich Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ja9If.40620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dsr6ra$p0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Basically, no. The web page is probably dynamically produced and the
>>> end product is a complete page, you cannot 'extract' individual parts of
>>> the page.
>>>
>>> You also shouldn't take content of another website without asking the
>>> website owners permission.

>> Exactly. You could, however, put that (complete) page in a frame on your
>> site.

> I dont use frames,my website is based on a template with an editable
> region which is where all the info goes,I dont think I can select a source
> for that region

Couldn't you use an IFRAME?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rich Wilson wrote:

> "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43f12266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Rich Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ja9If.40620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dsr6ra$p0m$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Exactly. You could, however, put that (complete) page in a frame on your
>>> site.

>> I dont use frames,my website is based on a template with an editable
>> region which is where all the info goes,I dont think I can select a source
>> for that region

> Couldn't you use an IFRAME?

Still not ethical. Besides, the other site will still be charged for the
bandwidth (assuming anyone visits the framing site).

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Blinky the Shark

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:32:13 +0000, D@Z wrote:

> I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
> would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be
> loaded as a page into my site, the page can be found at
> http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseact...29/Season/2005
> What I was wondering is can I set my page so that it loads just the table of

Perhaps while you're discussing rights to that table with the rightful
owners, they can give you some advice on how to make it happen.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:32:13 +0000, D@Z wrote:

> I have a website for my local rugby team www.bramleyphoenix.co.uk and I
> would like the league table that is currently on the RFU website to be

I think you could get some really, really good advice on
alt.www.webmaster. Check in there, eh?