Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My partition disappeared

My partition disappeared

rajagodavarthy@gmail.com

Hi,
I have a strange problem. I have windows 2000 installed on my
computer. Disk 1 has 3 (c,d, e) 15 GB, and disk two (160 GB) have 3
partions (G,H,I). Till day before yesterday everything worked fine. But
all of sudden yesterday when I try to access H/phtos/ It said photos
folder is not accessible. Then I shut down the computer and restarted.
To my surprize H drive vanished and disappered. When I went to Windows
Disk information it says drive is free (no drive letter or something
like that).

I have fix it utitilies. I saw using explore it also says 117 gb
(which is my H partition is free).

I has all my years of data (personal memories etc...which I can't get
it else where).

Please help in getting that data back.

I suspect over heating of system?? is it possible? If so why my G and I
drives still showing? I have pccilling 2005 anti virus software.

Thanks and regards,
Rajasekhar

why?

On 13 Feb 2006 07:30:18 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
> I have a strange problem. I have windows 2000 installed on my
>computer. Disk 1 has 3 (c,d, e) 15 GB, and disk two (160 GB) have 3
>partions (G,H,I). Till day before yesterday everything worked fine. But
>all of sudden yesterday when I try to access H/phtos/ It said photos
>folder is not accessible. Then I shut down the computer and restarted.
>To my surprize H drive vanished and disappered. When I went to Windows
>Disk information it says drive is free (no drive letter or something
>like that).
>
> I have fix it utitilies. I saw using explore it also says 117 gb
>(which is my H partition is free).
>
>I has all my years of data (personal memories etc...which I can't get
>it else where).
>
> Please help in getting that data back.

have mentioned GetDataBack NTFS from www.runtime.org

Other posts have mentioned other apps, the names of which I don't need
to know as I paid for the above app online while recovering data and it
worked.

>I suspect over heating of system?? is it possible? If so why my G and I

I didn't and 3 partitions on 1 disk went missing, 1 partition was okay.
All the data was recovered.

>drives still showing? I have pccilling 2005 anti virus software.
>
>Thanks and regards,
>Rajasekhar

Me

fred-bloggs

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Hi,
> I have a strange problem. I have windows 2000 installed on my
> computer. Disk 1 has 3 (c,d, e) 15 GB, and disk two (160 GB) have 3
> partions (G,H,I). Till day before yesterday everything worked fine.
> But all of sudden yesterday when I try to access H/phtos/ It said
> photos folder is not accessible. Then I shut down the computer and
> restarted. To my surprize H drive vanished and disappered. When I went
> to Windows Disk information it says drive is free (no drive letter or
> something like that).
>
> I have fix it utitilies. I saw using explore it also says 117 gb
> (which is my H partition is free).
>
> I has all my years of data (personal memories etc...which I can't get
> it else where).
>
> Please help in getting that data back.
>
> I suspect over heating of system?? is it possible? If so why my G and
> I drives still showing? I have pccilling 2005 anti virus software.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Rajasekhar

PC INSPECTOR File Recovery is freeware
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

You need enough space on another partition to recover the data to.

--
fred

Spuds

On 13 Feb 2006 07:30:18 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
> I have a strange problem. I have windows 2000 installed on my
>computer. Disk 1 has 3 (c,d, e) 15 GB, and disk two (160 GB) have 3
>partions (G,H,I). Till day before yesterday everything worked fine. But
>all of sudden yesterday when I try to access H/phtos/ It said photos
>folder is not accessible. Then I shut down the computer and restarted.
>To my surprize H drive vanished and disappered. When I went to Windows
>Disk information it says drive is free (no drive letter or something
>like that).
>
> I have fix it utitilies. I saw using explore it also says 117 gb
>(which is my H partition is free).
>
>I has all my years of data (personal memories etc...which I can't get
>it else where).

Years of data, and no backups at all? WTF were you thinking?

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a strange problem. I have windows 2000 installed on my
> computer. Disk 1 has 3 (c,d, e) 15 GB, and disk two (160 GB) have 3
> partions (G,H,I). Till day before yesterday everything worked fine. But
> all of sudden yesterday when I try to access H/phtos/ It said photos
> folder is not accessible. Then I shut down the computer and restarted.
> To my surprize H drive vanished and disappered. When I went to Windows
> Disk information it says drive is free (no drive letter or something
> like that).
>
> I have fix it utitilies. I saw using explore it also says 117 gb
> (which is my H partition is free).
>
> I has all my years of data (personal memories etc...which I can't get
> it else where).
>
> Please help in getting that data back.

There is a free "PC Inspector File recovery". Download it, don't do anything
with the drive until recovered.
You need to buy or borrow a 2nd (3rd in your case) drive with enough room on
a preferrably fat32-formatted partition to copy all your interesting data
there. Take care of correct jumpering when you put it in, maybe instead of
a cdrom drive.
Do NOT run any chkdsk or other utilities until you recovered most of your
data, also do not run harddrive stress tests until you are done saving
data.

> I suspect over heating of system?? is it possible? If so why my G and I
> drives still showing? I have pccilling 2005 anti virus software.

Most probably a partition sector got lost, but if so there is a good chance
something else eroded from the plattern.
Run harddrive test (webpage of manufacturor) AFTER you are ready with
recovery.

Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

rajagodavarthy@gmail.com

Thanks for your replies. First Of all I disconnected drive from usage.
Now I am looking for good HD deals. I will get back once I have new HD.