Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Does unattend installation mean it installs over a network

Does unattend installation mean it installs over a network

mallybee

Hi all. Im new to networking and have just started doing
my MCSE. I know this is going to be a stupid question but
when you do an unattended installation after creating your
script files using setup manager, do you run the winnt32
command from the server or do you run this command from
each of the computers you are installing win 2000 (which
will include the attend.txt file in the shared folder on
server in the command line).

Thanks

Dragon

Depending on what type of installation it is, an unatended installation can
be from a CD, from a network drive or any number of other ways. Unattend
means that you will not need to answer the questions during the installation
which you have already provided in the config files

HTH.

"mallybee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:142001c37901$4e926110$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all. Im new to networking and have just started doing
> my MCSE. I know this is going to be a stupid question but
> when you do an unattended installation after creating your
> script files using setup manager, do you run the winnt32
> command from the server or do you run this command from
> each of the computers you are installing win 2000 (which
> will include the attend.txt file in the shared folder on
> server in the command line).
>
> Thanks

ITPro_DLM

You run the command from each workstation. The command
should point to the location of winnt.exe or winnt32.exe.

Note: There are switches to the command, such
as /unattend:%AnswerFile% /udf:%CompterName% ...etc., that
are made when doing an unattended install. You must know
those as well.

ITPro_DLM
MCSE/MCSE 2000

mally

Thanks for your help

The answer what i was looking for was do you run the
command from the server or each workstation.

Thanks again

ITPro_DLM

Look at it this way... if you ran the "command" from the
server, then you would be installing on the server.
Likewise with each workstation.

yum installs Tkinter in a way visible to only one python installation Rahul Python 0 05-29-2008 04:40 PM
RF signal over Cat5e network - ie TV over network links Hank NZ Computing 21 11-18-2006 04:58 AM
70-270 Unattend question Eps MCSE 1 08-10-2005 01:53 PM
how do i make unattend install? macguy Computer Information 0 10-26-2003 08:57 PM

Advertisments