Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Suppose you wanted the crap micosoft....

Suppose you wanted the crap micosoft....

USB Port 0

stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
and sound that makes no sense at all.

Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.

I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

Windows XP 1.20 GB of memory (that can be disputed).
30 GB internal HD, 80 GB external. Dell Inspiron 1200, 1.33
race car.

Enticed with AGV, Anti-Vir, Spy-bot, Registry Mechanic,
CCleaner, simple stuff.

Also is there a method to allow one to boot the system from
external drive?

And M. Kwan pulled out. Groin problems. Jez, women and
their 'plumbing'!.

Apolo, Chad. Kick ass and take names. peace.

Thanks in advance. USB Port0. God bless the yanks, limeys,
and kanucks. Womens hockey. Tell canada to take a 50 outta
petty cash and buy some cuban cigars. Smoke one for me.
Illegal here. Dammit.

Bert Hyman

In news:QNKHf.17704$(E-Mail Removed) link.net "USB Port
0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote:

> stuffed upon you computer removed?

I would suggest you install a minimally configured instance of Linux or
FreeBSD.

Then you can pick and choose just what applications you want to have
installed, find them, download them and do what's needed to get them
running.

You'll probably get the opportunity to build many of the applications
yourself and fix any bugs you find.

On my news server, there are over 350 newsgroups devoted to Linux and
over 180 devoted to FreeBSD, so I'm sure you'll find lots of friends.

Have fun!

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Kenny

I believe there's an XP Lite but it's only available in poorer countries.
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?NewsID=1002

--
Kenny Cargill

"USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in message
news:QNKHf.17704$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
> like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
> up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
> and sound that makes no sense at all.
>
> Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
> stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
> some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.
>
> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
>
> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
>
> Windows XP 1.20 GB of memory (that can be disputed).
> 30 GB internal HD, 80 GB external. Dell Inspiron 1200, 1.33
> race car.
>
> Enticed with AGV, Anti-Vir, Spy-bot, Registry Mechanic,
> CCleaner, simple stuff.
>
> Also is there a method to allow one to boot the system from
> external drive?
>
> And M. Kwan pulled out. Groin problems. Jez, women and
> their 'plumbing'!.
>
> Apolo, Chad. Kick ass and take names. peace.
>
> Thanks in advance. USB Port0. God bless the yanks, limeys,
> and kanucks. Womens hockey. Tell canada to take a 50 outta
> petty cash and buy some cuban cigars. Smoke one for me.
> Illegal here. Dammit.

Deano

USB Port 0 wrote:
> stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
> like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
> up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
> and sound that makes no sense at all.
>
> Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
> stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
> some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.
>
> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
>
> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
>
> Windows XP 1.20 GB of memory (that can be disputed).
> 30 GB internal HD, 80 GB external. Dell Inspiron 1200, 1.33
> race car.
>
> Enticed with AGV, Anti-Vir, Spy-bot, Registry Mechanic,
> CCleaner, simple stuff.
>
> Also is there a method to allow one to boot the system from
> external drive?

For me since I run multiple installs of Windows off the same hard disk I can
boot into a setup that is suitable for what I need. My development stuff is
one and has precious little in the way of graphics/media software. Another
is loaded up with that kind of stuff including music players, others are
used for testing.

If you have something like this you don't have to worry too much about how
lean your PC is - if something goes wrong I can restore an image or copy one
computer over another. Before I install something I tend to quickly image
the computer then restore later if needed.

Else if this is about a dislike of Windows then you can try Linux and avoid
all of Microsoft's crap.

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:05:36 +0000, USB Port 0 wrote:

> stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
> like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
> up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
> and sound that makes no sense at all.
>
> Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
> stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
> some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.
>
> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
>
> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

Windows is not needed.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Doc

"USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.

> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose what
you want to install.

Bert Hyman

In news:kALHf.144384$(E-Mail Removed) Doc
<postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> "USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
>> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
>>

> Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.
>
>> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
>> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
>>

> Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose
> what you want to install.

Assuming the OP wants to stay with Windows, a less drastic option would
be to go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and then select
"Add/Remove Windows Components" and get rid of the optional pieces he
doesn't want.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Walter Mautner

USB Port 0 wrote:

> stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
> like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
> up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
> and sound that makes no sense at all.

You did smoke cool stuff and are in high mood?

> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

Some installer you started, did it. Maybe as a prerequisite or did you
forget to uncheck the occasional "goodie" offered with freeware ...

> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

A good knoppix cdrom and a usb stick to save personal data. Forget your
harddrive.
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Dave Keays

Doc wrote:
> "USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
>> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
>>

> Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.

I have a broken thread here, so ignore me if I'm off-- I mean if my post is off!

Anyway; neither Winbook, HP, nor MS gave me the option of what not to install or
what not to install on the 2 machines that uses XP. In both cases I was coerced
into accepting what the vendor and MS wanted me to have. The only other option
was to not by the hardware.

>> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
>> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
>>

> Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose what
> you want to install.

What if that is not an option?

If I need to re-install another OS will go on my 2 XP machines because I am not
going to spend money on another copy of WindowsXP. I don't have the repair CD on
one machine and I accidentally wiped out the vendors partition on the other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing MS. My decision has more to do with my
wallet size than their business style or the quality of their software.

--

Dave Keays