Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC doesn't turn on - No lights, no fans, no sound

PC doesn't turn on - No lights, no fans, no sound

Will

I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it doesn't
do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried unconnecting
everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive connections and still
nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply - Correct? and is there
anything else I can try?

Thanks

philo

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
> removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
> the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
> doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
> unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
> connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply -
> Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks

reset the bios

there is usually a jumper for that...

Les Hemmings

Will wrote:
> I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my
> PC removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the
> Card with the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the
> PC now it doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I
> have tried unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard
> drive connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new
> power supply - Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks

Fuse in the wall socket plug? Internal fuse?

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
His name shall be The Flying Spaghetti Monster!
http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
Epicurus

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Vanguard

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
> removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
> the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
> doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
> unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
> connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply -
> Correct? and is there anything else I can try?

Is the power cord plugged into a wall outlet? Have you tested the wall
outlet using, say, a lamp that works in a different outlet? Did you try
plugging into the other socket in the wall outlet, spreading the prongs a
bit on the power cord, reinserting the cord several time to wipe the
contacts, or using a different outlet to make sure you didn't have a bad or
loose socket or corroded/oxidized connectors (in the socket or cord)? Did
you check the power cord is pushed all the way into the receptacle in the
power supply?

Did you take anti-static measures to ensure you didn't zap your system from
the inside? Did you just push the power button to power down or did you
actually yank the power cord from the back of the power supply to make sure
there was no power to the motherboard? ATX-style PSUs still supply 5VSB (5
volts standby voltage) to the motherboard when the power button has been
pushed to power down but the cord is still connected (it is needed to supply
power enough so wake-up events can be detected in, say, your network card
if, for example, you set the BIOS to wake-on-LAN). See
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup...ftPower-c.html.

Did you check that any daughtercards were FULLY seated in their slots? I've
seen users that only partially inserted an AGP card and spent a month
wondering why their system wouldn't power up and why a PCI card would work
but not the AGP card, and just pushing the AGP card all the way into the
slot was all that was needed. I've seen some users put the mobo in at the
wrong height or due to bad case designed so when they crank down on the
retaining screw for a daughtercard it ends up tilting the card and its
backside slides up and out of the slot.

Rather than unconnecting, did you check that the cables were connected? Did
you check that the power tap going to the motherboard was pushed all the way
on? Did you leave at least one hard drive connected (some PSUs won't power
up unless there is enough current drain)? Power up with the just the video
card, mobo, and a drive plugged into power and with at least one memory
stick installed.

Did you watch the CPU's fan to ensure it started spinning when power was
applied? If it doesn't spin, the BIOS is probably configured to turn off
the system immediately. Did you check the heatsink is still on the CPU? If
not, heat goes up fast and the BIOS probably kills the power to ensure the
CPU doesn't fry.

Did you use a voltmeter to check voltages from the taps? Did you then test
them AFTER you connected them (by pushing the probe in from the backside of
the connector to touch the pins) to check them UNDER LOAD? If you pulled
off any power taps and reconnected them, pull them off again and check that
you didn't bend any pins. Maybe you didn't slide them on in the proper
position. Although most are polarized by the shape of the connector, I've
seen, for example, the 4-pin Molex connector forced in upside down (so the
12V power got connected to the 5V pin) and the older P8/P9 connectors in
AT-style PSUs get reversed. Some cheapy cables, like data cables (to hard
drives), don't even have the polarizing tab so maybe you reconnected it
upside down.

If you can't figure it out, time to let the shop look at it.

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

dogsBollix

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
> removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card
> with the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
> doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
> unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
> connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply
> - Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks

on/off switch at the back of the computer where the power cable plugs in ?
power cable not plugged in properly ?

dB

Buffalo

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
> removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
> the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it doesn't
> do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried unconnecting
> everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive connections and still
> nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply - Correct? and is there
> anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks

Perhaps when you were changing the card, you accidently pushed the On/Off switch
on the back of the Power Supply or maybe even moved the voltage selector
(115v-230v) switch slightly. Easy to check.
Make sure the wall socket you are using is active and that the power cord on
your set is seated fully.
Reseat all cards and make sure the cpu fan can turn easily (maybe a wire or
something has it jammed up).

Will

Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many of
the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no power
supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with jumper &
battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply, installed
it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be honest I don't
know if it did with the old power supply in either as I hadn't opened up the
PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an image of my hard drive
just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am I on borrowed time? Can
I continue to run without the fan spinning, is there anything else I can do?

thanks

Will

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many
> of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no
> power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with
> jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply,
> installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be
> honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in either as I
> hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an
> image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am
> I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the fan spinning, is
> there anything else I can do?
>
> thanks

Sorry just to make that clear that's the Internal PC Fan, not the Power
supply fan

Meat Plow

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:22:58 +0000, Will wrote:

> Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many
> of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no
> power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with
> jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply,
> installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be
> honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in either as I
> hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an
> image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am
> I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the fan spinning, is
> there anything else I can do?
>
> thanks

The fan should spin even if it is the type of PS that has a variable RPM
fan controlled by the load the PS is under. Take it back and get one with
a good fan before it too fails.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:36:14 +0000, Will wrote:

> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried
>> many of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there
>> is no power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the
>> bios with jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new
>> power supply, installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't
>> spin. To be honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in
>> either as I hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up
>> and making an image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around
>> 5 years old, am I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the
>> fan spinning, is there anything else I can do?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Sorry just to make that clear that's the Internal PC Fan, not the Power
> supply fan

Get a new fan or shorten the life of the CPU