Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > SUSS.exe Please help

SUSS.exe Please help

Troy

Please help!

I am trying to avoid having to go from desktop to desktop
to install SUSS.exe so that I can use SU. I'm stuck in a
catch 22 I want to use SU to push out a desktop change
that requires local admin permissions but to use SU you
need to run SUSS.exe -install as a local admin so it kind
of defeats the purpose. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Troy

msnews.microsoft.com

Here's a trick that I use sometimes:

1. pop open an mmc console, add the computer management snapin.
2. manage the machine(s) in question, and start the telnet service.
3. telnet in (as admin), map a drive to the install files
4. Run the installer manually.

Of course, this isn't very automated, but at least you dont' have to get out
of your chair

"Troy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0f7301c378ad$4ed25b70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please help!
>
> I am trying to avoid having to go from desktop to desktop
> to install SUSS.exe so that I can use SU. I'm stuck in a
> catch 22 I want to use SU to push out a desktop change
> that requires local admin permissions but to use SU you
> need to run SUSS.exe -install as a local admin so it kind
> of defeats the purpose. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Troy

Brendon Rogers

I will assume you have NTReskit.

Another tool in the Reskit is called RClient / RConsole. I will leave you to
read up exactly how this works.

But here is how it ties in with SU: you copy the SU install files to the
client, then rclient to the client and run the SU install as if you were
sitting at the console. I use this method to deploy SU to 100's of PC's in a
few minutes. NT4 and Windows 200 only (I assume it works on W2003 but
haven't tested it yet).

Here is a quick and dirty method to do it, create two batch files detailed
below.
Create a new directory, call it anything you want.
Copy the SU.EXE and SUSS.EXE files into this directory.
Copy the contens of the RConsole directory into this directory.
Put the names of the PC's you want to install SU onto in a test file called
PCList.txt (put it in the same directory), simply list the computer names
one under another.
You will need admin rights on the target PC's.

rcSU.BAT:
SUSS.EXE -install

InstallSU.BAT:
for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy SU.EXE \\%%I\admin$\system32
for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy SUSS.EXE \\%%I\admin$\system32
for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy rcSU.bat \\%%I\admin$\system32
for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do rsetup.exe \\%%I /runbatch rcSU.bat
for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do del \\%%I\admin$\system32\rcSU.bat

Then run InstallSU.BAT. Rconsole will be installed as a by-product of this
and I find this to be an extremely useful tool.

Any problems let me know.

Brendon

"Troy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0f7301c378ad$4ed25b70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please help!
>
> I am trying to avoid having to go from desktop to desktop
> to install SUSS.exe so that I can use SU. I'm stuck in a
> catch 22 I want to use SU to push out a desktop change
> that requires local admin permissions but to use SU you
> need to run SUSS.exe -install as a local admin so it kind
> of defeats the purpose. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Troy

Brendon Rogers

Oh yeah - another way to do this, and we use this to, is to use WinINSTALL
LE to repackage the SU install as an MSI and distribute via W2K GPO.

"Brendon Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I will assume you have NTReskit.
>
> Another tool in the Reskit is called RClient / RConsole. I will leave you

> read up exactly how this works.
>
> But here is how it ties in with SU: you copy the SU install files to the
> client, then rclient to the client and run the SU install as if you were
> sitting at the console. I use this method to deploy SU to 100's of PC's in

> few minutes. NT4 and Windows 200 only (I assume it works on W2003 but
> haven't tested it yet).
>
> Here is a quick and dirty method to do it, create two batch files detailed
> below.
> Create a new directory, call it anything you want.
> Copy the SU.EXE and SUSS.EXE files into this directory.
> Copy the contens of the RConsole directory into this directory.
> Put the names of the PC's you want to install SU onto in a test file

called
> PCList.txt (put it in the same directory), simply list the computer names
> one under another.
> You will need admin rights on the target PC's.
>
> rcSU.BAT:
> SUSS.EXE -install
>
> InstallSU.BAT:
> for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy SU.EXE \\%%I\admin$\system32
> for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy SUSS.EXE \\%%I\admin$\system32
> for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do copy rcSU.bat \\%%I\admin$\system32
> for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do rsetup.exe \\%%I /runbatch rcSU.bat
> for /F %%I in (PCList.txt) do del \\%%I\admin$\system32\rcSU.bat
>
> Then run InstallSU.BAT. Rconsole will be installed as a by-product of this
> and I find this to be an extremely useful tool.
>
> Any problems let me know.
>
> Brendon
>

> "Troy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0f7301c378ad$4ed25b70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please help!
> >
> > I am trying to avoid having to go from desktop to desktop
> > to install SUSS.exe so that I can use SU. I'm stuck in a
> > catch 22 I want to use SU to push out a desktop change
> > that requires local admin permissions but to use SU you
> > need to run SUSS.exe -install as a local admin so it kind
> > of defeats the purpose. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Troy

Troy

I would like to thank both of you for your help. I
accually wrote a script using psexec that logs into each
pc with a user that has local admin right and ran
suss.exe -install that way. Below is an example incase it
help you for anything. I also made it so that it keeps a
log of all the pcs that suss.exe get installed on.

psexec.bat

psexec \\computername -u username -p password -c suss.bat

suss.bat

cd\
copy \\\suss.exe c:
suss.exe -install
echo %computer% >> \\servername\directory\results.txt