Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook express problem

Outlook express problem

Viper

I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed that the
tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up any names of the
people that posts messages. The column is blank. How do I get that From
field to display names? I have the latest version of Outlook Express. I had
to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP Home on my system. Before I
reinstalled Windows that From field was showing names but now it is not.

dadiOH

Viper wrote:
> I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
> that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
> any names of the people that posts messages. The column is blank. How
> do I get that From field to display names? I have the latest version
> of Outlook Express. I had to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP
> Home on my system. Before I reinstalled Windows that From field was
> showing names but now it is not.

Right click the column title bar > columns.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Viper

The column shows up but there is no names under or any thing under the
column like there should be.

Donald

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8a371$43ee1123$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The column shows up but there is no names under or any thing under the
> column like there should be.

rt click on colum put a check in from

Viper

IT IS CHECKED. You all are not getting what I am saying. The colum is there
but there is nothing listed ( NO NAMES) or any thing listed below showing
who posted messages.

"Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8a371$43ee1123$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The column shows up but there is no names under or any thing under the
>> column like there should be.
>>

> rt click on colum put a check in from

Mike Easter

Viper wrote:
> I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
> that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
> any names of the people that posts messages.

Try removing and replacing the news account, maybe the db is corrupt, OE
is prone to that.

OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ News tab - select the news server - click the
Remove button on the right.

Exit OE. Open OE. Create a new account with the same section above -
Add button

In addition, your news posts can be improved over your style in
news:8a371$43ee1123$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed) and
news:bf9b5$43ee1e59$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed) -- in which the former
shows no citing or attribution and the latter shows fuzzy unclear
non-contextualized topposting.

http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
news.newusers.questions - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

Citing with proper trimming and in-line contextualizing makes for
clearer communication.

--
Mike Easter

Viper

No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the account and
still the same problem. How would I go about repairing OE? I have just
formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing installed just fine. No
errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I did see the from field before I
re did my system. Is it some thing in the registry I can try or change for
OE?

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5c0b$43ee0a7a$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed that the
>tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up any names of the
>people that posts messages. The column is blank. How do I get that From
>field to display names? I have the latest version of Outlook Express. I had
>to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP Home on my system. Before I
>reinstalled Windows that From field was showing names but now it is not.

Toolman Tim

In news:ab4b1$43ee7784$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed),
Viper spewed forth:

> "Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d5c0b$43ee0a7a$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
>> that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
>> any names of the people that posts messages. The column is blank.
>> How do I get that From field to display names? I have the latest
>> version of Outlook Express. I had to format my HD and reinstall
>> Windows XP Home on my system. Before I reinstalled Windows that From
>> field was showing names but now it is not.

> No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the
> account and still the same problem. How would I go about repairing
> OE? I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing
> installed just fine. No errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I
> did see the from field before I re did my system. Is it some thing in
> the registry I can try or change for OE?

You can stop posting at the top, to start with. This isn't email.

Deleting the USER account is not going to have any effect on the DATA file
your newsgroup posts are stored in. Perhaps you should delete the data store
files.

I have a question: is this on NEW posts, or only on posts you already had in
the system, or on all of them?

Viper

All of them. I can not tell who or what the user name is, so it is hard to
follow posts when I am reading them.
news:0RuHf.386$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:ab4b1$43ee7784$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed),
> Viper spewed forth:
>>
>> "Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d5c0b$43ee0a7a$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
>>> that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
>>> any names of the people that posts messages. The column is blank.
>>> How do I get that From field to display names? I have the latest
>>> version of Outlook Express. I had to format my HD and reinstall
>>> Windows XP Home on my system. Before I reinstalled Windows that From
>>> field was showing names but now it is not.

>> No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the
>> account and still the same problem. How would I go about repairing
>> OE? I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing
>> installed just fine. No errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I
>> did see the from field before I re did my system. Is it some thing in
>> the registry I can try or change for OE?
>>

> You can stop posting at the top, to start with. This isn't email.
>
> Deleting the USER account is not going to have any effect on the DATA file
> your newsgroup posts are stored in. Perhaps you should delete the data
> store files.
>
> I have a question: is this on NEW posts, or only on posts you already had
> in the system, or on all of them?
>
> --
> If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Toolman Tim

In news:87984$43ee8685$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed),
Viper spewed forth:
> news:0RuHf.386$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:ab4b1$43ee7784$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Viper spewed forth:
>>>
>>> "Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:d5c0b$43ee0a7a$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the
>>> account and still the same problem. How would I go about repairing
>>> OE? I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing
>>> installed just fine. No errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I
>>> did see the from field before I re did my system. Is it some thing
>>> in the registry I can try or change for OE?
>>>

>> You can stop posting at the top, to start with. This isn't email.
>>
>> Deleting the USER account is not going to have any effect on the
>> DATA file your newsgroup posts are stored in. Perhaps you should
>> delete the data store files.
>>
>> I have a question: is this on NEW posts, or only on posts you
>> already had in the system, or on all of them?
>>

> All of them. I can not tell who or what the user name is, so it is
> hard to follow posts when I am reading them.

(top posting fixed - AGAIN)

First, try the basic maintenance tools of OE. Cick on Tools, Options,
Maintenance tab, Clean Up Now button, then Compact. This will take a while
if you have lots of messages stored.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the newsgroup data file (Windows calls it
a "store folder") The location of that store folder can be found in OE,
Tools, Options, Maintenance tab. Click on Store Folder, and copy that line
to your clipboard. Then open a Windows Explorer window, and paste that into
the address line. (If the address line isn't showing, turn it on by
right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting the address bar.) Once you're
seeing the data files, you should be able to tell which is the newsgroup
file(s) by the name.

WARNING: deleting the newsgroup .dbx files will delete all downloaded
messages and data stored in OE!